10 best cruise ports in photos

10 best cruise ports in photos

For me the most important thing about any cruise is the ports it stops at. We at Wandermust Family love a cruise and have compiled a list of our ten favourite cruise ports to help you make a decision about which cruise ports are best for you!

Venice

Has to be the greatest port to leave from. It is definitely the most dramatic sail away you’ll ever see with unrivaled views of Venice. It’s worth going for the sail away along let alone the actual excursions

the sail away from venice

the sail away from venice

Copenhagen

Copenhagen is one of my favourite cities in the world. It is an absolute gem for castle lovers, foodies and design fanatics. It really has something for everyone

rosenborg castle

amalienborg castle

You might also enjoy this post about 48 hours in Copenhagen for castle lovers
New York

New York the city that never sleeps and a perfect cruise port. Nothing beats sailing away from a snowy New York and arriving in the sunny Caribbean

sailing away from bayonne new jersey

Antigua

Antigua is a perfect Caribbean getaway. We escaped to the beautiful Great Bird island for some bird watching and snorkeling. It was paradise

the wandermust couple at great bird island, antigua

St Thomas

St Thomas can be busy but when we arrived it was pretty empty so we had the beautiful Magen’s bay to ourselves. We went snorkeling and swam right into a bait ball. We managed to swim with rays, reef sharks and pelicans. It was magical

the beautiful magens bay, st thomas

the beautiful magens bay, st thomas

Galapagos

Wandermust daddy made me include this despite the fact only he has ever been. It was a life changing experience for him. Currently scouring the old photos to digitize

Juneau

Our first cruise together was to Alaska and was a life changing experience for me. In Juneau I saw my first glacier, the mendenhall glacier. It was made even more special by seeing my first ever whale on the sail out!

the mendenhall glacier

Ketchikan

Ketchikan, my first experience of a rainforest. I never even knew Alaska had a rainforest! It was astoundingly beautiful.

ketchikan rainforest

Naples

Naples has to be one of the greatest ports for excursions in our opinion. Some of our favourite excursions are taking a trip to sorrento down the amalfi coast, or a day trip to Capri but my absolute favourite excursion is Pompeii and Herculaneum. And let’s not forget the pizza.

a deserted pompeii

the beautiful amalfi coast

Bari

Bari,perhaps not the big name port like some of the others but beautiful none the less. We thought Bari, particularly the cathedral was beautiful and regular readers of the blog will know that Puglia is one of my favorite parts of Italy. Bari is also the gateway to see the amazing truly houses of Alberobello.

bari cathedral

the truli houses of alberobello

What’s your favourite cruise port?

This post was done as part of #MondayEscapes

http://

Travel Notes & Beyond

1. October 4, 2016 / 9:17 am

This is a really fun idea for a post – some of the Caribbean destinations were wonderful, especially arriving at Grand Turk. One of my favourites has to be leaving Istanbul and watching the skyline from our balcony as we sailed away. Wonderful. #citytripping

• October 4, 2016 / 9:27 am

Thank you. We have had plans to go to Istanbul several times and had to abandon the plans for one reason or the other. Def high on the bucket list! Good to know it’s good to do on a cruise 😃

2. October 4, 2016 / 5:54 pm

I think Kotor in Montenegro! Kotor Bay is beautiful and the ships docks right opposite the town itself. – A wonderful Unesco World Heritage Site area.

I haven’t been to the Caribbean – it looks wonderful! #citytripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:22 am

Not been to kotor but hear great things. Thanks for adding

• October 5, 2016 / 6:55 pm

Great choice – I’ve not done motor but hear good things. Hear Dubrovnik is great too

3. October 4, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Great list! I am totally with you on Puglia being a fab part of Italy. Can you believe, I have never been on a cruise…can only be a matter of time!. I am very jealous of your Alaska adventures and the Galapagos islands are also on my hit list! Thanks for linking to #citytripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:24 am

I’m jealous of hubby for Alaska. We enjoy cruising as it limits the driving and you get to see lots of new places. We are off on another at the end of the month. Maybe I’ll have some new contenders

4. October 4, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Oooh, I haven’t been on a cruise before but I think I’d definitely like St Thomas! #citytripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:25 am

We recommend. St Thomas had one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen

5. October 4, 2016 / 9:08 pm

We went on an Alaskan cruise early this year (our very first cruise too!), and saw the Mendenhall glacier and Ketchikan. Great to learn about the other ports as well – the Venice one looks amazing. #citytripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:26 am

Did you enjoy? It was my first abroad holiday and I loved it.

6. October 5, 2016 / 1:40 am

Lovely list of ports to sail into. Love the Skagway one. It must have been amazing to see the glaciers as you sailed into port. #CityTripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:26 am

It was unbelievable- glacier bay cruising is also very special.

7. October 5, 2016 / 5:05 am

I am dreaming of taking a cruise around the Mediterranean. I know it is a fun way to explore and see many cities in a short time.

• October 5, 2016 / 6:35 am

It’s a great way to see lot of different places. Would thoroughly recommend

8. October 5, 2016 / 7:46 am

Seems you’ve gone on a lot of cruises! I’d love to cruise more as its so relaxing. I’ve only been on one cruise, but the hard core traveler that I am says 6 hours or 8 hours in each city is NOT enough. My mom always wants to go on a cruise and I want to too, but I just cant do it. #CityTripping

• October 5, 2016 / 8:16 am

We’ve been on a few! We treat it as a starter day for each destination and return to the ones we really like. Not sure we would have gone to puglia so much if we hadn’t done a day in Bari first. Also it is a great way to see places that have difficult visa situations such as Russia. It is really relaxing too!

9. October 5, 2016 / 2:54 pm

I have never been a cruise person, but after seeing all your wonderful photos and places to leave from, I wonder if that might change..#citytripping

• October 5, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Aww thank you – I didn’t think I was a cruise person until I went on one and now have done loads. I love that you can have tasters of lots of different places and get to places that I would unlikely go without ie st Petersburg and Alaska

10. October 7, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Oh wow these all look amazing, I think Cruising into New York is something I will never forget, it was 5 am in the morning and we were escorted in with police helicopters. But Nalpes is my all time favourite port, there is something breathtaking about Naples, oh I love love love cruising such a fab post x

• October 8, 2016 / 6:12 am

Yes totally agree New York is amazing to see. Though there is so much in Naples I keep going back x

• October 9, 2016 / 10:17 am

Its marvellous isn’t it. Unforgetable experience

We are big cruise fans too – only two weeks till our next 🙂

11. October 8, 2016 / 11:50 pm

We went a cruise for the first time this summer and agree that arriving at places by boat is just stunning.
    #citytripping

12. October 11, 2016 / 3:34 pm

I have not tried a cruise yet mainly because I probably would be left behind because I’d be busy exploring the cities we’re docked in. Lol. These are gorgeous! Been to some but haven’t been to a lot in this list.

• October 11, 2016 / 4:23 pm

Def worth doing though maybe a tour guide with a watch and strict personality would be needed lol

13. October 18, 2016 / 7:39 pm

What an amazing collection of cruise ports. Sadly I’ve only seen one of them – Naples. We’ve only been on one cruise but had such a great time. I think I’ll have to make it my mission to see some more of these 🙂 Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes

• October 18, 2016 / 8:11 pm

Cruises really do take you to some excellent places – it was hard picking just ten

14. November 12, 2016 / 11:44 am

Have to totally agree that Venice is one of the most beautiful cities to sail away from, we were there this summer and it was magical! We have just returned from a cruise to the Canaries and really enjoyed the sail away in Tenerife with the mountainous landscape behind. The other port that springs to mind is Olden in Norway, that was pretty spectacular too! Great post bought back some lovely memories, thanks for sharing! #TheWeeklyPostcard

• November 12, 2016 / 11:51 am

Thanks for commenting – not done Tenerife or Olden so will have to put those on the list!