Exploring Northern Qatar

Exploring Northern Qatar

As expats in Qatar many of us can be guilty of not getting out of the city but there is more to Qatar than Doha!

Our day started by driving 1 hour and ten minutes out of the city as we headed towards al Ruwais! Al ruwais is the port town of Doha. With 4000 inhabitants it is more a sleepy fishing town than what you would imagine a commercial port to be like.

We loved seeing the old dhows and fishermen at work. We particularly enjoyed watching this from the beautiful Abu Dhalouf Park ( open for families only with restrictions to women on Tuesdays and Wednesday).

View from abu dhalouf park

After a brief stop at the park we headed towards Zubarah. By driving from al Ruwais to Zubarah you drive along the coast and visit sone of the less well known and less preserved forts such as al thugab and rakiyat to name just two. Important – you will probably want a 4×4 to visit these.

The final fort you come to is zubarah – the only UNESCO World Heritage site in Qatar.

Zubarah fort

Old meets new at al zubarah fort

The fort is small but contains a small but interesting exhibition which tells you about the fort’s history and trade links.

The day we went, there was a vintage car rally on displaying 80s Nissan cars. Everyone was very friendly and Wandermust Daddy was in his element. It was really nice to see so many people at the fort and we got some great pics of old versus the new especially with the camels.

I think every expat should really make the effort to go out and see more of the country than currently call home as there is lots more to Qatar than Doha. Keep watching this space for more  Qatar day trips!

1. January 6, 2017 / 3:11 pm

I’ve often wondered about Qatar, but never been quite sure about it. I think I would like to go one day though and check it all out!
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…Things I’d love to do in 2017My Profile

• January 8, 2017 / 8:40 am

Like many places in the Middle East it is a very child friendly destination

2. January 7, 2017 / 5:14 am

Nice post. I am surprised that Qatar has only one UNESCO World Heritage site, but it does look amazing. And I’m even more surprised that 1980s Nissans are considered collectible! 😉 #CulturedKids
    Jonny (Daisy the bus) recently posted…Dark places of the MullerthalMy Profile

• January 7, 2017 / 6:32 am

One and a relatively new addition. I personally don’t hold much stock in UNESCO lists as there is a western bias and lots to do with funding rather than historical importance but I still always visit! Yes I was surprised by the car rally – not really my thing but the organisers were so friendly

3. January 9, 2017 / 11:39 am

Thanks for linking up with #Culturedkids. This is a really interesting post about a part of the world that, I have to admit, I know little about. It sounds fascinating though, and interesting to hear your views on UNESCO sites – I’m sure you’re right. I’m looking forward to reading more about your country of residence. x
    Nell (the Pigeon Pair and Me) recently posted…#CulturedKids January 2017My Profile

• January 9, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Thank you – I think it’s important to show people more than they see on the news. Unesco is my day job opinions coming out in my blog – oops!