5 best cruise ports for architecture

5 best cruise ports for architecture

We at Wandermust family love cruising, everything from convenience of onboard food to simply watching the sea go by. But our favourite thing about cruising has to be the ports. This list is for all you architecture lovers out there – from all of our adventures by cruise these are what we think are the top five ports for seeing different architecture

Santorini

There isn’t a Greek yoghurt pot in the world that doesn’t have a picture of santorini of. The island is home to the archetypal white buildings with blue domes. The beautiful town of oia is not to be missed.

Archetypal Greek architecture

Santorini sail away

Make sure you try the local food while there

New York

Perhaps the most famous skyline in the world. As you sail out of port you’ll see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and more.

New York sail away – what a skyline

View from the top of the rock

On a port excursion make sure you visit the flat iron, Chrysler building and the radiator to see New York in all its Art Deco glory

Dubai

Like it or loathe, dubai has some of the worlds biggest buildings. A visit to Dubai isn’t complete without a trip to the burj khalifa but there are other impressive buildings too like the burj al arab!

Burj khalifa

Burj khalifa at night

The old souq is also worth a visit to see how Dubai use to be.

Rome

Although Rome is an hours drive from the port of civitevetchia it’s well worth the travel. Whether you want to see archaeological ruins at the forum or colosseum or bask in the wonder of the Vatican City – Rome has is all

Colosseum

Vatican City

Barcelona

There is no where on earth quite like Barcelona thanks to the architectural stylings of gaudi- from the park, to his buildings to the incomparable and still incomplete church. An architectural tour of Barcelona is amazing.

Sagrada familia

What are your favourite cruise ports for architecture?

Ps next week is baby cruise week the blog – come back from Monday for family cruise information!

• January 24, 2017 / 9:55 am

It’s a fab one especially if you leave in the cold and arrive in warm Caribbean next

• January 24, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Yes for me it is all about the itinerary – you may be interested in the posts coming up later in the week about picking cruise itineraries. There is another I think you will enjoy coming up tomorrow too!

1. January 24, 2017 / 1:59 pm

I’ve never done a cruise before but I think New York would be such an amazing place to see and sail into (And out of!). One day I am going to just kidnap my whole family and place them on a cruise ship (My husband isn’t too keen!)
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…Before we tuck in – Those food photosMy Profile

• January 24, 2017 / 2:12 pm

I think it’s a perfect multigenerational holiday as plenty of places to escape too lol! Would thoroughly recommend picking one out of New York

2. January 24, 2017 / 4:47 pm

I loved the view leaving Istanbul as well on one cruise – such an amazing skyline. Santorini always sounds so stunning though. #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…City Tripping #61My Profile

• January 24, 2017 / 5:52 pm

Istanbul is the city that keeps getting away from me. Not sure when I’ll get there at the moment

3. January 24, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Oh, I do want to go to Santorini! I haven’t done a cruise…yet. It is certainly very tempting when you see how many great places you can visit. Thanks for linking to #citytripping
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…City Tripping #61My Profile

• January 24, 2017 / 5:52 pm

Santorini is lovely and a Greek islands cruise wonderful

• January 25, 2017 / 5:11 am

Dubai is interesting in its own right though it is a bit of a marmite city

4. January 25, 2017 / 6:11 am

Wow! I have to cruise more. There are some really interesting ports in here. For architecture, I would cruise to San Juan or Cartagena. #citytripping

5. January 25, 2017 / 9:22 pm

Love all those places (though have yet to visit Dubai!)

It must be particularly amazing sailing into New York! It was impressive by air but by boat it must be fantastic! #citytripping
    Tracy McConnachie Collins recently posted…A Virtual Cuppa – January 2017My Profile

6. January 26, 2017 / 7:05 pm

I bet it’s a wonderful feeling cruising into the port of New York, such an amazing city. I’ve never done a cruise though so I’m not sure where would be my 2nd choice, South Queensferry maybe, because of the big red bridge? #citytripping
    alex muir recently posted…Take An Alicante Food TourMy Profile

7. January 27, 2017 / 1:21 am

Santorini has been creeping up my travel list over the past several months. Would love to visit there within the next couple of years.
    Ahila recently posted…A Cruise on Lake GenevaMy Profile

• January 27, 2017 / 5:16 am

It is beautiful and you feel like your in a yoghurt pot commercial lol.