What to do Chatsworth House and Gardens

What to do Chatsworth House and Gardens

Chatsworth has to be hands down my favourite stately home in the UK. As an ardent Austen fan, who wouldn’t love to visit the location of Pemberly from the BBC adaption. I have visited many times before but this time was special as it was my first visit with our little lady in tow. We were keen to discover whether Chatsworth is a family friendly day out. What we discovered was that it absolutely was! Here are some suggestions for what to do at Chatsworth with or without kids in tow!

Stroll through history at Chatsworth House

Chatsworth House

Chatsworth House

Take a tour of the house and discover the history of the Devonshire Family and their amazing abode!

Please note: you can’t take carriers or strollers into the house with you but they have a limited supply of baby carrying equipment on site.

Take a horse drawn carriage down the Broad Walk at Chatsworth House

Horse Drawn Carriage Chatsworth

Horse Drawn Carriage Chatsworth

I love historic transportation in historic locations and what’s better than taking a carriage ride down the Broad Walk past the Emperor’s Fountain! It’s a great way to recreate the atmosphere of Austen!

Please note: additional charge

Have a Picnic in Chatsworth Gardens

Picnics at Chatsworth

Picnics at Chatsworth

There is nothing more than I love on a sunny day to take a picnic and sit next to the beautiful Cascade! There is nothing more relaxing than sitting listening to the water and having a proper English picnic!

Get Lost in the Chatsworth Garden Maze

what to do chatsworth - the maze

what to do chatsworth – the maze

Adults and children alike will be delighted with the Chatsworth House Maze!

Chatsworth House Garden Train

Chatsworth Train

Chatsworth Train

If you are not up to walking around the gardens, or just fancy seeing it from a different vantage point the Chatsworth House train, pulled by a tractor, is a great way to see a different side of the gardens.

Please note: additional charge

Hunt for sculptures in the Chatsworth House Gardens

Chatsworth Garden Sculptures

Chatsworth Garden Sculptures

There are sculptures all around the Chatsworth House Gardens in a range of styles. Adults will love to admit the different styles of sculptures while children will love hunting them out.

Have a sensory experience in the Kitchen and Sensory Gardens

At the kitchen garden

At the kitchen garden

I love all the different gardens at Chatsworth but for little ones, the sensory and kitchen gardens offer a great sensory opportunity. It will be a learning experience for the whole family!

Get Hands on at Chatsworth Farm

Chatsworth House Farm is one of my favourite farms in the whole of the UK. There is a great mix of hands on experience which means that children can get up and close to a variety of animals live and small. Our little lady particular enjoyed petting the guinea pigs and meeting Ariel the sheep!

We also loved meeting all of the baby animals especially the new born foal and baby donkey!

Let the kids blow off steam at Chatsworth Adventure Playground

The Adventure Playground at Chatsworth is an adventure playground to end all adventure playgrounds. There’s water and sand play, rope park, zip lines and more. This adventure playground will amuse children of any age.

There’s also a fun tractor area for the under 6s.

NOTE: If you are taking part in the adventure playground and hands on activities you may want to take an extra set of clothes for your little ones!

Have a Seasonal Experience

Summer is the perfect time to visit Chatsworth as you can picnic on the lawn (if the British weather plays ball)! And Chatsworth House offers an array of summer seasonal activities; Lawn games next to the maze,a champagne van to enjoy the perfect English summer day,

Champagne van

Champagne van

entertainment such as local bands playing on the lawn,

Derwent Valley Wind Orchestra CHatsworth

Derwent Valley Wind Orchestra CHatsworth

to face painting and organ grinders which are sure to entertain the children!

organ grinder chatsworth

organ grinder chatsworth

But summer isn’t the only time to visit, why not try a traditional Christmas experience at Chatsworth with their Christmas market!

Chatsworth House Admission Prices

Chatsworth offers a number of packages which mean visitors can choose which of the House, Gardens, Farmyard and Playground they want to visit. You can check out current ticket prices here.

If you book your tickets online before your visit, you can get parking for free. Otherwise parking is charged at 4GBP per car.

Disclaimer: We were guests at Chatsworth but as always the views are my own!

Have you been to Chatsworth? What recommendations do you have for what to do Chatsworth?

Why not check out our other posts for Peak District Travel Inspiration

1. August 14, 2017 / 12:08 pm

This looks like a fabulous day out. So much to do in one place.

• August 14, 2017 / 4:20 pm

No it’s isn’t. It is its own estate. But I think value for money especially with the farm and adventure playground. It is my absolute fave stately home

2. August 16, 2017 / 8:24 am

We just moved nearby, I need to actually venture inside one of these days, have only walked in the grounds. There is so much to see.

3. August 16, 2017 / 8:51 pm

You had me at champagne van! I’ve not visited Chatswood but having read this I would love to take my kids. Not only is it insanely pretty, there appears to be a lot to do. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. August 16, 2017 / 9:12 pm

I really love a maze! Reminds me of being a child again . Looks like a great place to visit.

• August 16, 2017 / 10:25 pm

i can happily spend the whole day there. a perfect day out

5. August 17, 2017 / 10:24 pm

I have been to Chatsworth house a while back and I actually didn’t realise how much there is to do there ! My middle daughter would love the tractor train – think we will have to return… thanks for sharing x
    MrsS recently posted…Outdoor fun at Wildwood Escot A Family Day Out My Profile

6. August 19, 2017 / 8:23 am

Gosh there are lots of lovely things to do there. I still haven;t made it there and really must do.

7. August 22, 2017 / 9:26 pm

I my goodness this brings back memories. We used to come to the country fair here every year before children. Just me, hubby and the dog. Always loved it. We must go back and take the children with us, it’s a beautiful place 🙂 x

#familytraveltips

8. August 23, 2017 / 8:01 am

This looks such a great day out – I didn’t realise
    You can take a horse drawn carriage either…! Or a tractor ride… and that maze looks fab! Popping by from #famtravtips
    MrsS recently posted…Outdoor fun at Wildwood Escot A Family Day Out My Profile

• August 23, 2017 / 10:53 pm

How interesting – I have done some things with public art too! I love it! Must do a new blog post on it soon

9. August 28, 2017 / 4:38 pm

Oh I absolutely love Chatsworth, what a brilliant recommendation and a fab review. My girls also adore the adventure playground and I was surprised how child friendly it was. I was impressed that dogs are welcome too! Thanks for linking up to #familytraveltips
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Konfidence Golden Bucket Sand Art Competition 2017My Profile

10. October 13, 2017 / 2:06 pm

I’ve never been to Chatsworth House but I’d love to. Especially now I’ve seen the champagne van!! Haha. X

11. October 13, 2017 / 8:17 pm

I am enthralled by chatsworth and need to check it out myself for sure. I am doing loads of local tours and adventures and this qualifies big time.
    Anosa recently posted…Autumn Date night ideas in Oxford My Profile

12. October 15, 2017 / 4:57 pm

It would be amazing to have a picnic with the family here at this garden. Looks so beautiful.

13. October 15, 2017 / 11:54 pm

We haven’t been to chatsworth but it’s not a million miles for us so maybe worth a trip next summer as I don’t weather well lol

14. October 16, 2017 / 9:33 am

oh wow these look beautiful, i love a good walk around the gardens of a pretty home!