Eat, sleep, breathe Kings Cross, London

Eat, sleep, breathe Kings Cross, London

Kings Cross is a place many people associate with journeys rather than as a destination in itself. But if you have a few hours to wile away waiting for your train or perhaps you want to explore a new area of  London then this guide to kings cross is for you!

Where to eat around Kings Cross London

You don’t need need to worry about being stuck with bad station food at kings cross as it is fast becoming a foodie hot spot! If you have a bit more time on your hands then

The German gymnasium

offers great lunch and dinners. It is a beautiful setting in a converted gymnasium with food as pretty as the restaurant architecture. The theme here as the name suggests is German. I recommend trying the schnitzel which took me back to great meals on our honeymoon in Vienna.

As a side note there are not lots of vegetarian friendly options. My last visit was with a veggie who assured me that the option they had however was divine! Make sure to save room for pud!

Plum and split milk

Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Named after the colours of train livery in the train themed hotel it’s in, Great Northern hotel. Being connected to the station makes it a great option for those with limited time. I’ve only had breakfast but I can’t wait to go and sample more.

For those super pushed for time I recommend going to the hotel sandwich shop which sells hot meat sandwiches inside the station.

Where to sleep Kings cross aka Where to Stay near Kings Cross Station

If you need to sleep at kings cross then there really is only one choice – the fabulously luxurious great northern hotel. Connected to the station it is very convenient for those with early trains. However this hotel is worth a visit for any stay in London. Train themed so some of the rooms are small, but perfectly formed. I love the pantry at the end of every corridor equipped with tea, cake and other treats.

Read our full great northern hotel review here.

Breathe Kings Cross AKA What to do at Kings Cross Station

Harry Potter at kings cross station

Platform 9 3/4 by penny at Parent Shaped!

Platform 9 3/4 by penny at Parent Shaped!

Nothing says kings cross more than Harry Potter.  Platform 9 3/4 is located at the station. Why not have your picture taking as you run through the wall to catch the hogwarts express then head off to the Harry Potter shop for souvenirs. Kids will love this bit of London and so will the parents.

Image courtesy of Parent Shaped

British library

If you gave a bit more time why not nip next door and visit one of the fabulous exhibitions at the British library.

Have you travelled through kings cross? What do you recommend doing there?

1. September 21, 2017 / 9:40 am

I always come into London here and sometimes organise meetings nearby. I love Drink Shop Do, it is a gorgeous cafe and there are so many great places to eat – sometimes I don’t even get past this area before going back up North!
    Penny Alexander recently posted…Dino Snores & Airbnb at the Natural History MuseumMy Profile

• September 24, 2017 / 8:10 am

I stayed here often for work. Def looking up that cafe on my next visit

2. September 25, 2017 / 10:21 am

I grew up just down the road in Camden and every time I go back to Kings Cross, I am amazed at how much it has changed! I love Granary Square, the kids love the fountains there. My mum runs a trip boat and regularly picks up parties from there.
    Would definitely love to check out some of the restaurants you have recommended, they look fab!

• September 25, 2017 / 2:32 pm

I would love to do a boat trip in that area bet it’s fab

• September 25, 2017 / 7:46 pm

It is a magical hotel – especially if you are a bit of a train geek like me! Plus the harry poster connections are great for kids

3. September 30, 2017 / 8:40 am

My boys are Harry Potter mad so we definitely need to take a visit!!
    Lisa recently posted…Monday Escapes #66My Profile

• September 30, 2017 / 8:49 am

My little one is too young fit Harry Potter so I can’t use that excuse 😉

4. October 3, 2017 / 8:34 am

I met up with some friends there just this summer, we went to Kimchi restaurant, where I highly recommend the gin tea. Seems very odd to me, does Kings Cross’ newfound respectibility. It’s always been my hometown’s London station, and there were times when it was exceedingly seedy. But no more for sure!

• October 3, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Ooh I love Korean food, will check this out. You are right the transformation has been amazon.

5. October 3, 2017 / 12:36 pm

I’m a big fan of Harry Potter so I’ve wanted to go to King’s Cross for awhile so I could get my picture on Platform 9 3/4. #citytripping
    Allison recently posted…Stanley Park with KidsMy Profile

• October 3, 2017 / 12:39 pm

I was on my own last time I was there so had no one to take my pic. Next time I’m down I def want a pic

6. October 3, 2017 / 10:33 pm

I’ve had breakfast at Plum & Spilt Milk as well and it was gorgeous – amazing how much Kings Cross has changed over the past five years or so (and there always seems to be a queue for Platform 9 3/4 at any time of day and night). It’s worth checking out Granary Square as well, as there are fountains and more cafes plus some outdoor pop-ups while Camley Street Nature Reserve is only about five minutes away. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping (PS like the new look!)
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #90My Profile

7. October 4, 2017 / 3:02 pm

I’ve been to the UK but still only had stopovers in London. I’ve got plans to explore London next year (hopefully) and will be navigating Kings Cross for the first time. I had no idea that there were hotels located so conveniently. That takes a lot of the traveling hustle worry away for me. And of course, Platform 9 3/4 is a must see.

8. October 11, 2017 / 6:12 pm

I went to London last year and visited King’s Cross for all things Harry Potter. It would have been fun to explore a bit more but it was a bit of a last minute decision.

-Lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Dual Reviews: Cover Up + Five DaresMy Profile

9. October 15, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Oh I could have done with this last month when I was down that way for an event! I had no idea where to go or where to eat, let alone sleep!
    five little doves recently posted…Snot: the toy no-one wantedMy Profile

10. October 18, 2017 / 7:03 pm

aww sadly this is a bit out the way for us and I don’t get the opportunity to visit up that way well haven’t yet. But it does look amazing and great food choices too, hopefully ill get to experience it sometime myself.