Great Northern Hotel – Be trainsported to Art Deco luxury!

Great Northern Hotel – Be trainsported to Art Deco luxury!

If I have a secret geek side, it has to be my love of trains in particular the golden age, art deco train travel. One of my top travel bucket list items is to travel on the Orient Express, ever since I read the magnificent Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. So imagine my delight when I found out the Golden Era of train travel had been recreated in a 5* hotel setting in central London! I was sure thus place would tick many of my ten things that makes a hotel luxurious – it was a place I just had to stay!

Be Trainsported!

Check In at the Great Northern Hotel

Ok, I’ll admit it … getting into this hotel flummoxed me a bit! Attached to Kings Cross Train Station but the entrance is just outside and takes a little spotting. But once you are through the doors, you are transported! Check in is at a trendy podium with laptop and the friendly staff escort you to the room.

Room amenities and style

If there is one era of style I love it has to be art deco and the rooms are full of beautiful art deco touches. From the beautiful green colour scheme to the art deco mirror and light fittings, you are transported to the golden era of train travel. Some of the  rooms are a little on the small side, but hey this is London and you are staying in a train style inspired hotel what more do you expect.

Great Northern Hotel Bedroom
Great Northern Hotel Bedroom

One of my favourite things about the rooms is the view of the beautiful new glass ceiling at Kings Cross Station. I loved sitting at the window admiring this architectural fete!

Facilities at the Great Northern Hotel, Kings Cross

Pantry

To keep with the train theme, there are limited coffee and tea in the room. However every room has access to an end of corridor pantry. The pantry has a large Nespresso machine and  a variety of tea but on top of that has fruit and sweet treats from lemon sherbets to Victoria Sponge Cake. I must admit it was hard not to indulge every time I went in there.

Plum and Split Milk Restaurant at Great Northern Hotel

For me any great hotel needs a great restaurant. Great Northern Hotel has this in Plum and Split Milk. Open to residents and outsiders for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The eggs benedict is a particularly favourite of mine on the menu.

Overall experience at Great Northern Hotel London

Overall, I love this hotel. The art deco charm wins me over at every stay plus its central location at Kings Cross Station means that it is great for travellers for both business and pleasure. Next time you are travelling through Kings Cross, I recommend making this your go-to London destination

Have you been to the Great Northern Hotel? What did you think

Want to know more about Kings Cross? Check out our Eat, Sleep, Breathe Kings Cross Guide!

1. October 30, 2017 / 11:00 am

Oh this sounds great! It’s super handy for Kings cross and that breakfast looks lovely!

2. October 30, 2017 / 2:57 pm

While I love older-classic looking hotels, I must say, really impressed with the modern look/design of this hotel 🙂
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…All About the PumpkinsMy Profile

3. October 30, 2017 / 7:46 pm

What a lovely looking hotel! And so conveniently located.

4. October 31, 2017 / 8:08 am

Hadn’t heard of this hotel, but love the idea of its having a theme. Plus of course, the lemon cake! I actually really fancy a visit now. Such fun. #citytripping

5. October 31, 2017 / 9:15 am

I am a big fan of Art Deco and Art Nouveau, I would absolutely love to stay in this hotel. And we also share a fascination for the Orient Express!! (I went to the hotel in Istanbul where Agatha Cristie stayed and wrote her book!)
    #CityTripping
    Esther recently posted…Meet Vincent van Gogh in The NetherlandsMy Profile

6. October 31, 2017 / 9:25 am

I do love an art deco hotel myself, as long as it has modern comforts! Brilliant positioning with the view from your window!

7. October 31, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I’ve had breakfast at Plum and Spilt Milk (such a fab name) but never stayed in the hotel so it’s lovely to have a little look inside – Art Deco is so beautiful, and I am very impressed by the pantry too! Would be a perfect treat before catching the Eurostar or a big train journey north, I’m thinking… Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #94My Profile

8. November 2, 2017 / 8:09 am

The great northern hotel seems like such a beautiful hotel and an idea place to stay. I love kings cross and often there when going to visit my parents so would be cool to stay here.
    Anosa recently posted…Bosch Tassimo Suny (T32) Product ReviewMy Profile

9. Michelle Murray
    November 3, 2017 / 6:51 am

Looks stunning. Nice to have a little bit of luxury when you are away