Copenhagen Castles – A 48 hour Itinerary

Copenhagen Castles – A 48 hour Itinerary

I love castles! Before going to Copenhagen I had no idea how many Copenhagen castles there were in the greater Copenhagen area. From the castles in the city such as Rosenborg and Christiansborg to those that you have to take a train to such as Frederiksborg and Kronburg, there are so many things to see for a castle lover in Copenhagen!

What castles can you visit with the Copenhagen Card

We decided to purchase a Copenhagen Card for our time there and dedicated one whole day to visit Copenhagen castles. This was a great option as it meant entrance to all the Copenhagen castles and also all our transportation costs in the Greater Copenhagen area were included in the cost.

How many castles can you visit in 48 hours in Copenhagen?

With having to get trains to go and visit some of the castles included on the Copenhagen card you may think you may not be able to cover many castles in a 48 hour period but with our itinerary you are guaranteed to visit at least four!

Frederiksborg Castle
Our first view of Frederiksborg Castle Copenhagen

Our first view of Frederiksborg Castle Copenhagen

Day one – start early at the central station of Copenhagen to head to Frederiksborg Castle. This also serves as the National Museum of Denmark.  This castle is a short train ride away from Copenhagen, and then a short walk through a quaint town to get to the castle itself.

The castle was built by Christian IV of Denmark in the 17th Century. A beautiful castle, we decided to take a guided tour to ensure we got the full experience and did not regret it. I don’t think I would have learnt as much about the architecture, paintings or history of Denmark without this. Highlights of the tour for me included the Chapel and the Great Hall.

Walking around the lake and via the gardens

Walking around the lake and via the gardens

On the way back to town, one could take the small ferry (also included in the cost of the Copenhagen card). On the day we were there, the ferry was quite busy. It was such a lovely day we decided to walk the other way around the lake . This gave us the perfect opportunity to stop and explore the beautifully landscaped gardens.

Kronburg Castle

The beautiful Kronburg aka Shakespeare's Elsinore

The beautiful Kronburg aka Shakespeare’s Elsinore

Back at the train station we took the train towards Helsinore. This is  the castle made famous by Shakespeare as the castle of Hamlet, Elsinore (in real life known as Kronborg). Now, out of all the castles in Copenhagen, I was expecting to like this one least. In my head it was more the Tower of London to Frederiksborg’s Hampton Court Palace. How wrong I was. Here we learnt about the control of the sound and how the castle was built to control the duties that needed to be levied for all ships wanting to enter or leave the Baltic Sea via the Sound and relations with Sweden as well as some more of the military history. The walk around the outside of the castle was also pleasant with great views over to Malmo. There are also some nice cafes within the castle walls.

Outside of the castle, much effort has been made to make Helsinore a cultural centre. In 2013, the Kulturhavn Kronburg was made to encourage tourism and includes the National Maritime Museum amongst other things. We didn’t have time to venture in but if we were to go back we would definitely spend a whole day in Helsinore!

After Kroburg, we headed back to Copenhagen. If we had a more leisurely timetable we would have stopped at Louisiana, a beautiful modern art gallery set on the sealine which even from the train I can tell you offered great views across the Sound. Its definitely a must when we return.

Day Two

Christiansborg Castle

Throne Room Selfie

Throne Room Selfie

The next day, because we hadn’t had enough of Danish castles we went to Christiansborg, now the home of the Danish Parliament. Our favourite stop here was the Throne Room and the Stables. It also has a Tower which boasts great views of Copenhagen (so I’m told – we were too lazy to walk up!).

Rosenburg Castle

The next stop on our palace Tour de Force was Rosenburg, home of the crown jewels. While beautiful this was perhaps my least favourite of the castles as it was by far the busiest. I guess this is what happens when the castle is in the centre of the city and is home to the crown jewels.

Rosenborg Castle

Rosenborg Castle

At 11:30 you can watch the start of the changing of the guard who go all the way from Rosenborg to Amalienborg, the final stop on our trip and the residence of the Danish Royal Family.

The start of the changing of the guard

The start of the changing of the guard

Amalienborg, our last stop

Amalienborg, our last stop

Overall Copenhagen Castles Itinerary

Overall I think Copenhagen may be the greatest city on earth for Castle lovers! The trains are efficient and easy to use so it means you can even travel outside of the city to get your castle fix. If I was doing this with children, which next time we definitely will be we would obviously take this at a much more leisurely pace and would recommend a carrier – these castles aren’t made for prams!

1. August 23, 2016 / 7:40 am

What a wonderful day! Bouncing from one castle to the next! 🙂 I’d love to see all of these castles when I make it to Denmark! #CityTripping

• August 23, 2016 / 7:47 am

Denmark is definitely worth a visit and the castle are some of the best I have ever been too. Helps that Danish public rail is very reliable too so you can get out into the countryside easily

2. August 23, 2016 / 10:13 am

this is a great post. We are planning to visit soon but only for a weekend, so this is most useful! #citytripping

• August 23, 2016 / 10:27 am

It is one of my all time favourite cities – you will have an amazing time!

3. August 23, 2016 / 1:24 pm

Great post. You have totally put us to shame…we didn’t go in any of the castles when we went to Copenhagen although we DID see the changing of the guard. A great educational tour and I’m impressed at how much ground you covered. Thanks for linking to #citytripping

• August 23, 2016 / 6:04 pm

Nothing comes between me and a castle! In fairness there is so much to do in Copenhagen you can’t cover it all in a weekend!

4. August 23, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Castles are my favorite to visit while traveling! I had no idea that there were that many castles in Copenhagen. Hopefully one of these days I’ll make it there so I can visit all of those beautiful castles! #citytripping

• August 23, 2016 / 6:05 pm

You are really spoilt for choice in Copenhagen. There are others we didn’t make it to! I definitely recommend Copenhagen for history buffs and castles lovers. I hope you get there soon!

• August 23, 2016 / 6:03 pm

There are others we didn’t get to. These are just the closest!

5. August 24, 2016 / 4:07 am

How come I have never associated Copenhagen with castles?? I LOVE Copenhagen and I love castles. And I’ve booked air tickets to Copenhagen next year without even realizing there were castles there?! Thank you for this, I shall keep this itinerary in mind. #CityTripping

• August 24, 2016 / 4:20 am

These aren’t all of them – there are more that we didn’t make it to. I hope you get to see some. If I had to pick one, which is very difficult I would pick Kronborg but they are all amazing. Hope you have a great time!

6. August 25, 2016 / 10:38 am

The Copenhagen Card sounds great. You definitely saw a lot of castles 🙂

• August 26, 2016 / 4:44 pm

Yes we did! Going to do another post soon about some of the other places we visited with it! We were very busy during our time there

7. August 25, 2016 / 12:06 pm

Lovely photo of the lion at Rosenborg castle. Sounds like you enjoyed your 48 hours exploring castles in Copenhagen!

• August 26, 2016 / 4:45 pm

Thank you. It was one of my favourite! Copenhagen should be on everyone’s bucket list – it is a fabulous city

8. August 26, 2016 / 8:45 pm

I do love Copenhagen- and castles, although I had to miss quite a few of these as my daughter was newly toddling and not quite the age to appreciate the history! #citytripping

9. September 26, 2016 / 6:00 am

That looks lovely; I have never heard of it before. Would definitely like to go to Copenhagen one day 🙂 Thank you for linking up to #HMcapturingmoments x

10. November 7, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I’ve never been to Copenhagen, it looks so beautiful! I’d no idea there were so many castles there. I’d love to visit.

11. November 7, 2017 / 8:42 pm

I loved visiting Copenhagen and is my favourite city in Europe to visit with children. We didn’t get to the castles on our last visit, but I really want to explore them a bit more when we next take a trip there.

12. November 7, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Wow Frederiksborg castle looks like something out of a fairytale!!

13. November 7, 2017 / 9:47 pm

I’m the same, I love a trip to a castle and seek them out wherever I go. These looks beautiful, I just need to go to Copenhagen now!

14. November 8, 2017 / 6:47 pm

We love castles but have never had the chance to go to Copenhagen, it’s definitely on the list!