Top Reasons Why Rome is a Perfect City Break for Families

Top Reasons Why Rome is a Perfect City Break for Families

We recently spent some time in the beautiful Rome. Rome stole my heart when we first visited ten years ago so I was really keen to take Baby E to visit our favourite city. Part of me did wonder if we would have such a good time as parents. but Rome really is the perfect city break for families . So here are my top 6 reasons why Rome is the perfect city break for families:

Top 6 Reasons why Rome is the perfect City Break for Families

Family Friendly Food in Rome

Food in Rome is amazingly child friendly. Let’s be honest – who doesn’t love Italian food?! And with Italian staples such as pizza, pasta and gelato even the kids will love it too. For the parents there are plenty of more sophisticated dishes. The perfect food for all the family.

Family Friendly Accommodation in Rome

There are lots of family friendly accommodations from AirBNB to luxury high end hotels. We chose to stay at the Westin Excelsior, (you can read a full review here), a 5* hotel on the lovely Via Veneto which was absolutely great for a families, even those like us travelling with a small baby! The rooms were big (I’ll admit we way overpacked so needed a large room) and the staff were very accommodating with the Baby.

Baby E enjoying the super comfortable bed at Westin Excelsior

Baby E enjoying the super comfortable bed at Westin Excelsior

How accessible is Rome for families?

Many people say it is impossible to do Rome with a stroller. I am sure in some places such as the colosseum and Metro this is true. But if you are anything like us and enjoy walking, Rome is actually a very easy place to get around with a pram or stroller. We managed to visit the Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain all in one day walking with a stroller. However if you want to go into places like the Forum then it is definitely worth having a stroller with you aswell!

Rome also has quite a good public transport system in case any little legs get tired and there is a hop on hop off bus tour that drops you off near all the major sites?

We found Rome very stroller friendly

The Piazzas of Rome

Many of the Piazzas are pedestrianised which means that you aren’t worried about safety. It also means that if your child is at the toddling stage, there are plenty of safe places to give them a run around in the city. Most also have a fountain, a Bernini one if your lucky ! It’s also a great place for weary parents as most Piazzas are filled with restaurants and bars to sit and rest your tired toes!

Are there any family friendly parks in Rome?

For me all great cities have at least one great park. In Rome this is Villa Borghese Gardens (you can read a full review here). It is filled with plenty of places for kids to run around, suitable playgrounds and even a small boating lake. There is also plenty of shade if you need to escape the summer sun.

But for me the top reason to visit Rome is …

Italians love kids

I know its a cliché but Italians really love babies! There was no where we didn’t feel welcome. From small cafes to 5* hotels Baby E was literally welcomed with open arms. Waiters would keep  her amused which gave us the rare chance to eat a meal somewhat together and helped with any request. Everywhere we went our Principessa or our Bella Bambino was showered with attention and love. It was like going on holiday with a celebrity. Baby E loved the attention and we loved the welcoming family atmosphere.

For me Italy really is one of the best places to take a baby on holiday. Looking for more advice on travelling to Rome with a little one? Then why check out our  advice on travelling to Rome with a little one take a look at our Essential Information Guide for Travelling to Rome with a Baby!

If you enjoyed this post you may enjoy our practical guide for parents visiting Rome including top tips about where to buy baby products, changing facilities and getting around in Rome.

Travelling to Rome with kids that are slightly older? Why not check out this guide of things to do in Rome with kids by our friends over at Learning Escapes

If you are looking for other family friendly city break inspiration  then why not check out the following destination guides:

Nell Heshram will revisit Oslo, one of her favourite cities, this summer. On her blog the Pigeon Pair and Me she’s put together a round-up of the top family-friendly museums in the Norwegian capital.
Samantha from North East Family Fun has visited Barcelona on numerous occasions with her three children and highly recommends the Catalonian capital as a fantastic city to visit with the kids. Did you know that Barcelona is one of the few cities in the world with it’s very own beach? Find out why Samantha rates Barcelona so highly and recommends as the perfect option for a family city break her
 Emma from A Bavarian Sojourn is well qualified to recommend a family trip to Munich having lived there up until recently for the past five years. This city is surprisingly child friendly, and really does have something for everyone. Explore Munich’s green spaces (look out for the surfers in the Englischer Gartens!), visit a local museum, swim in a nearby crystal clear lake, or explore the biggest science museum in the world. Emma’s list of things to do and see here goes on (and on)…

Parentshaped shares a treasure hunt in Amsterdam, for this family travel carnival, a city packed with invitations to play and new things to discover and learn as a family.

Joanne and the eldest take you on a tour of Brussels, Belgium and show you the essential stuff to do, what to eat, and where to stay.

Lisa from Travel Loving Family shares her five must see sights in the capital of Madeira, Funchal. Her recommendations include a scenic cable car ride to a view point at an incredible 1,800 feet overlooking the whole island, a thrilling toboggan ride in a wicker basket and a visit to Blandy’s Wine Lodge to taste the famous Madeira wine.

With three hundred days of sunshine, six theme parks and miles and miles of golden sandy beaches, Jane Batt from Taking 5 says you should definitely consider Benidorm when planning your next family holiday. Pop over to Taking 5 and have a look at Jane’s recommendations for what to do and where to stay in Benidorm as well as her family’s top ten Benidorm activities.

Daisy over at Dais Like These Family Travel Blog shares a few ideas on how to keep kids entertained during 24 hours in Bruges, Belgium.

Ting from My Travel Monkey spent a week exploring snow covered Iceland and discovered there was so much to see and do in Reykyavik – even for young children…

If you have visited all of the bigger London icons and are looking for Alternative things to do, hop over to Like Love Do. Donna shares 10 hidden gems in London

Check out POD Travels if you’re looking to visit Berlin in the near future. Charly shares the top 30 places to visit with kids and where you can explore without them. With posts on the Berlin Wall, East Side Gallery and Wall Museum, a round up of the top Christmas markets in the city and a look at the Berlin street art scene, there’s more than enough to keep you occupied

If you are planning to visit the UK during your European break, Zena talks about why her family loved their visit to Liverpool  and why it’s worth visiting if your looking for a vibrant and cultural city outside of London.

Pop over to Mums do travel to find out why Gretta Schifano and her teenage daughter think that Belfast is a great place for a family city break.

Susanna from A Modern Mother tells us the 12 reasons that families should visit Costa Barcelona.

And

Over on Space in Your Case Penny visits Bologna, few people realise it is the foodie capital of Italy. Bologna also has lots to keep children entertained, as Penny discovered on a weekend break courtesy of Bologna Welcome.

1. November 8, 2016 / 8:02 am

Glad to see that Rome is easy for parents with a baby in tow is so easy to get around! #CityTripping
    Lolo recently posted…Schloss HohenschwangauMy Profile

• November 8, 2016 / 8:57 am

Haha yes the rain was severe. Couldn’t have used carrier even if I’d wanted to in that weather! The stroller was excellent. We did 10 miles in a day so evidence I think that despite popular belief Rome is stroller friendly

2. November 8, 2016 / 10:26 am

What a brilliant post! I do like walking and can just see that I’m going to love walking in Rome.
    Mandy recently posted…October: The Month That WasMy Profile

• November 8, 2016 / 10:27 am

If you love walking, and perhaps coffee stops then Rome is definitely a city for you

3. November 8, 2016 / 11:20 am

I love Rome. We visited without our kids but it would be so doable with them – all sorts to do and see and the food isn’t too random for little ones #citytipping

4. November 8, 2016 / 3:14 pm

Italy is a fantastic place to take children and where better than Rome? Great to read how easy you found it. I can’t wait to take my kids – they already love all the gory stories of Ancient Rome! #citytripping
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #5My Profile

• November 8, 2016 / 4:23 pm

Gory history and gladiators school I think are great draws for older kids

• November 8, 2016 / 5:35 pm

Aw thanks you – we think so! Can’t wait to keep returning with her

5. November 8, 2016 / 7:55 pm

We have no problems walking as well. We will gladly take our two children to Rome if we ever get the chance. I love finding places that are so welcoming of young children. #citytripping
    Allison recently posted…Where to Eat Near Cuyahoga Valley National ParkMy Profile

• November 10, 2016 / 4:03 am

Thank you we had a great time despite the rain. It was actually a real treat to see then pantheon in the rain

6. November 10, 2016 / 8:36 pm

That’s a great picture of the three of you at the end – love her smiling face! Really reassuring to hear you were ok getting around with a buggy. We went pre-kids so didn’t pay attention to that sort of thing but we are keen to go back as a family. Thanks for linking to #citytripping
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…5 Tips For Surviving Road Trips With KidsMy Profile

• November 11, 2016 / 7:03 am

Yes it was surprisingly easy. New post coming up next wk which may also be helpful. The end pic is actually Of the first photo of me and wandermust daddy in Rome on our first trip ten years ago

7. November 10, 2016 / 8:37 pm

I really can’t believe I haven’t taken my daughter to Italy yet – I do love it (Rome included) and it seems SO child-friendly… plus it’s one country where I can guarantee she would eat pretty much anything. Lovely to see that even cities and major cities known for their art and history at that are still so good with little ones too. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #52 – Wander Mum’s giveawaysMy Profile

• November 11, 2016 / 7:04 am

It should be on your list – you and your daughter would have a great time

8. November 12, 2016 / 12:24 pm

I agree – Rome is VERY family friendly! Our babies aren’t such BABIES anymore – but tweens and teens, but it is such a walkable, delicious beautiful place with something for everyone! Loved this! Cheers from Copenhagen! Erin #CityTripping

9. November 13, 2016 / 5:30 am

How unfortunate to visit the beautiful Castel Sant’Angelo on a rainy day. However, Rome is beautiful at any time of year, even in the rain. The first time I’ve seen it it was on a cold winter day in January, and still fell in love with the city.

• November 13, 2016 / 5:57 am

The rain actually didn’t bother us to much – living in the Middle East means it’s a novelty! We go to Rome a lot and must admit December is my favourite time

10. November 13, 2016 / 9:38 pm

Rome is my favourite city in the world and I cannot wait to go with my little adventurers. I adore the pictures of you all smiling despite the rain. Looks like you had an amazing time!

• November 14, 2016 / 6:00 am

It’s my fave city too! I hope you get to take your little adventurers soon. We did have a wonderful time

11. November 14, 2016 / 7:11 am

I’ve never been to Rome but it is one of the cities I’d love to visit. I think the history of it must be fascinating. We love to walk and wander around places so this seems like a great place for us to visit. #MarvMondays
    Lucy At Home recently posted…You’ve Changed; Are We Still Compatible?My Profile

• November 14, 2016 / 7:13 am

It sounds like it would be your kind of city – I hope you get there soon

12. November 14, 2016 / 9:33 am

Enjoyed your post -we really love Rome but haven’t been back with the children yet. I know they would love it and are at good ages for exploring a lot of the sights. My list just gets bigger and bigger! Need a few more years and a lotto win on my side 🙂
    Coral-Way too much luggage recently posted…Have you found your happy place ?My Profile

13. November 14, 2016 / 9:44 am

I first went to Rome as a teenager and we are now looking to take our teenagers for a city break to Rome early next year. I am sure a lot has changed but I do remember how easy it was to walk around as you say and to enjoy all the sights by foot. Shame about the weather but looks like you were all smiles regardless. #MondayEscapes

• November 14, 2016 / 9:53 am

I think Rome will be a great destination for teenagers. It’s a city alive with history. It was a shame about the weather but we certainly made the most of our time there

14. November 14, 2016 / 10:31 am

Italy is definitely on our list of places to visit for a long weekend. Looks like you had a lovely time despite the rain! Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays

• November 14, 2016 / 11:42 am

You really should! The rain was disappointing but we didn’t let it hold us back. Pedometers said we walked 10 miles that day

• November 14, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Being an expat we have no choice but to do international travel but I am so glad we do! It is really enriching and creates lovely memories

15. November 14, 2016 / 3:14 pm

I love Rome and would love to go back. We had a stressful holiday to Lisbon earlier this year which has put me off foreign travel. But you’ve re-inspired me and I would be really tempted to go to Rome now. It’s great that they loved having your baby and welcomed her. In Portugal my toddler felt like a burden and was not accommodated well (probably just a bad experience but still…). Thanks for sharing your experiences – looks like you had a great time too! #MarvMondays
    Angela Watling recently posted…Are we really listening ? My Profile

• November 14, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Oh no! What happened in Lisbon. She definitely was not considered a burden anywhere. We felt completely relaxed and welcome! I would recommend it and hope we’ve inspired you to consider traveling again soon 😃

16. November 14, 2016 / 7:20 pm

Aww, that face! What a cutie. Rome definitely sounds baby friendly. We found the Italians and Spanish so friendly towards kids when we visited this summer #citytripping
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…Monday Escapes 47My Profile

17. November 14, 2016 / 9:19 pm

It looks like you had a fab trip. I am looking at taking the hubby to Rome for a surprise 40th without the kids but I have a feeling we will be returning with our two girls at some point. #MarvMondays

• November 15, 2016 / 4:05 am

Ooh. I hope you have a fantastic time – it’s the perfect city for a romantic getaway too

18. November 14, 2016 / 9:23 pm

I must say I’ve never thought of attempting somewhere like Rome with family, actually I’d be quite scared of navigating myself round! You make it sound very doable though #mondayescapes

• November 15, 2016 / 4:06 am

I know Rome very well. Hubby and I went all the time before kids which did help but it is very doable. Have some more posts coming up – one a week for the next couple of weeks which should help anyone thinking of going with kids

• November 15, 2016 / 4:07 am

We walked ten miles on the rain but thoroughly enjoyed

19. November 15, 2016 / 6:47 am

I would absolutely love to visit Rome, it looks and sounds like a fantastic place to visit. #MarvMondays

20. November 15, 2016 / 7:53 am

Oh I love Rome too and keep promising to take the children there – I’m going to pop it on my long to do list! Sounds like you had a great time. Great photos – despite the rain – and I adore the one of you three at the end – your daughter’s face is just gorgeous!! #DreamTeam

• November 15, 2016 / 8:27 am

Aww thank you! It’s a recreation of a photo from our first trip to Rome ten years ago! I hope you and your children get there soon

21. November 15, 2016 / 11:06 am

That smile is adorable! Good for you for doing it anyway with a stroller. we loved taking our pram around cities. i’ve never visited Rome but hope to one day #MarvMondays

• November 15, 2016 / 11:53 am

I hope you get there soon! And thank you we think she’s adorable

22. November 15, 2016 / 11:53 am

I’d never think of going somewhere like Rome with the kids but you are definitely making me rethink! Adore Rome. My OH worked there for a while when I was pregnant with our first and I have some fabulous memories of visiting him. Looks like you had a lovely time. Beautiful family! #MarvMondays #DreamTeam

• November 15, 2016 / 11:54 am

Yes people sometimes think we are a bit mad with our travels but Rome is a city that is definitely doable with kids from our experience.

23. November 15, 2016 / 1:51 pm

I would really love to go to Rome! It looks beautiful 🙂 hopefully when my babies are a bit bigger we can take a nice family trip #MarvMondays

24. November 15, 2016 / 4:08 pm

I loved Rome – one of my favourite cities in the world. I can’t wait to take my kids to it one day! #marvmondays

• November 15, 2016 / 4:40 pm

It’s one if not my fave city – I hope you get to take your kids soon

• November 16, 2016 / 4:17 am

It’s a great city and I think has something for someone for every age. Hope you and you boys get there soon

25. November 16, 2016 / 1:50 pm

We’re going on our first family holiday to Italy in April so this has just got me *so* excited! Great to hear that it’s a family friendly place x #MarvMondays
    Chelsea recently posted…Getting Ready for the New YearMy Profile

26. November 16, 2016 / 9:11 pm

I’ve never been to Italy, but it sound like the ideal place for a family holiday. I know I’d just love it! #MondayEscapes

• November 17, 2016 / 4:06 am

There are some lovely hikes outside of the city as Well.

27. November 17, 2016 / 1:04 am

I am hoping to get to Italy next year, I have never been anywhere in Europe and we are excited to be planning a trip YAY so it is garret to hear your thoughts. Being from Australia everything is so far away #dreamteam

• November 17, 2016 / 4:07 am

How exciting – Italy is a must for your first trip to Europe

28. November 17, 2016 / 6:40 am

Rome stole my heart too and I’ve been twice. I would love to go back with my girls, I mean they are pizza and ice cream loving girls! X #bloggerclubuk

29. November 21, 2016 / 8:05 pm

We went to Rome before I had our daughter but I absolutely loved it…there’s something quite magical about seeing the sights that you’ve seen a thousand times before in films and on TV. And the food, well I didn’t even realise how amazing Italian food could be before we went on that trip. Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam
    Bridie By The Sea recently posted…Magazines, Colouring & Messy PlayMy Profile

• November 22, 2016 / 4:12 am

Thanks – I really think Rome Is the perfect city break

30. November 23, 2016 / 6:56 am

I haven’t taken my 3 out of the UK yet! I really must change this soon! My daughter is the only person I know who doesn’t like pizza! Strange girl! #FamilyFun xx

• November 23, 2016 / 7:10 am

I hope you all get away soon – doesn’t like pizza 😮😮😮! Replace it with gelato

31. November 23, 2016 / 7:36 am

My children are desperate to go to Rome, mainly for the pizza and pasta! Thanks for linking up! #HMcapturingmoments

32. November 23, 2016 / 8:57 pm

I really love this and I love Rome. We went when I was pregnant with my first and I would love to return. We have mostly written city’s off with a 1 and 2 year old but you are so right. There are lots of parks, we walk everywhere and there are lots of pedestrian places they can toddle. Also pizza/pasta is a massive hit with my kids so they certainly wouldn’t go hungry. Thank you for sharing this with us at #familyfun and inspiring me! Xx

• November 24, 2016 / 4:07 am

Thank you for such a lovely comment. It’s lovely to hear you are inspired. I do hope you return soon

33. November 25, 2016 / 5:35 am

That’s great to hear that Rome is family friendly. I went when I was 16 it’s really is a brilliant place. So much culture. I totally agree with you about Italians loving babies, we went to a restaurant the other day and our little man was entertained and fussed over the entire time! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

34. January 7, 2017 / 11:58 pm

I absolutely love Rome! It’s on my bucket list to go back there and take our kids this time – I think they’d love it. They are old enough now to understand the history and appreciate the architecture and beauty. #ThePlacesWeWillGo

• January 8, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Rome is my favourite city – i think there is really something for everyone