Why we have and why we will keep travelling with our baby!

Why we have and why we will keep travelling with our baby!

When we had our baby people frequently told us that all our travelling would come to an end! We hoped in that foolhardy way of impending parents that this wouldn’t be the case for us. Now we’ve had to eat our words on many things but thankfully we haven’t in regards to travelling. Baby E is now eight months old and has been to seven countries, on nine long haul flights, on a Mediterranean cruise and on nine city breaks. And 2017 is going to bring even more travel – so why do we travel with a baby?

Travel compilation

Well why not?

Babies are super portable so why not take advantage of this! We hiked up Montjuic in Barcelona with Baby E in the carrier.

Babies are so portable

And proven Rome with a stroller can be done!

Proving Rome with a stroller can be done

Whether you are a baby carrier or a stroller person – travel can still be done!

It gives us great time together to bond away from everyday distractions.

Enjoying family bonding time in Palma

It will – we hope – give our baby a curious and accepting spirit!

Developing a curious spirit in Valencia

It forces you to travel at a slower pace. Nothing will make you embrace slow travel like a baby. Instead of rushing around you will get to travel deep, spend quality time together and enjoy the little things you may have missed before! I can’t wait for baby E to get a bit older and start seeing the world through her eyes!

You meet more people! Nothing makes you more approachable than a baby! Whether it’s a Japanese tourist wanting to take a picture of your baby in their adorable snow suit to meeting locals at local eateries. It’s a great way to get insights into local life and getting great tips on places to go!

And don’t forget travelling with babies is cheaper than with older kids. You can opt if you wish to have your little one travel on your lap rather than having their own seat and hotels will often let babies sleep in your room at no extra cost.

Enjoying 5* luxury with a baby

In 2017 we have lots of great adventures coming up with Baby E – Singapore in the spring, Norway in the summer and Japan and South Korea in the Autumn. And then onto our round the world trip in 2018!

We can’t wait for more adventures!

The wandermust family

She may never remember but we will never forget!

Do you travel with a baby – what do you think are the benefits and top tips for travelling with babies?

http://

Tammymum

http://

Capturing Moments

http://

My Petit Canard

http://

Flying With A Baby

1. January 1, 2017 / 6:04 pm

I loved reading this post and admire how you’ve travelled to seven countries, been on nine long haul flights, and on nine city breaks! I don’t have children yet but when I do, I hope to carry on travelling the way I do currently. Life shouldn’t stop just because you have a baby, you just need to take things at a slower pace as you quite rightly put!

• January 1, 2017 / 6:26 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment! Our philosophy is that travel doesn’t have to stop just change and we’ve found it’s been all the better for it!

2. January 2, 2017 / 12:28 am

Love the fact that you are keeping on travelling with your baby! That’s exactly what I’d love to do one day when I have kids! It looks like you guys have the balance down pretty well too!
    Eleanor recently posted…Travel Wishlist for 2017 | New YearMy Profile

3. January 2, 2017 / 10:32 am

So inspiring to see you travelling with your little one! Will definitely have to remember this post for the future.

• January 2, 2017 / 11:23 am

Thank you – we have been really enjoying travelling with the baby so far

4. January 2, 2017 / 11:16 am

Your baby is beautiful!

5. January 2, 2017 / 3:05 pm

That is impressive and pretty inspirational, and it must work well if you have more planned!

6. January 2, 2017 / 6:19 pm

Travel with a baby is the best – found myself nodding away to everything you wrote – particularly the meeting new people bit! Babies are the best conversation starter. Hope you have a great 2017 you three!

Polly xx
    Polly (Follow Your Sunshine) recently posted…Our Luxury Family Travel Plans For 2017My Profile

• January 2, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Thank you Polly! Hope you have a great 2017 too – Bali looks like it will be amazing!

7. January 3, 2017 / 9:44 pm

Wow! That is one well travelled baby! She must be racking up the passport stamps 😉

• January 4, 2017 / 4:24 am

Haha – I think I was in my mid twenties by the time I’d visited as many countries haha

8. January 3, 2017 / 10:16 pm

This post is lovely! And your baby has the most adorable grin ever! I do love to travel and am insistent that if we ever have children that won’t change, so thanks for giving me hope. Happy travels in 2017!
    Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad recently posted…2016: highs, lows, firsts and lastsMy Profile

9. January 4, 2017 / 5:05 am

Wow hope you enjoy Asia! Also I love this post about babies. I did my first trip at about 1 year old and my parents said it was great. I think that travelling with a baby would be great! I don’t have one and don’t intend to in the near future lol, but I will definitely not let having a baby hinder my travel wishes.
    Camila @ AdventitiousViolet recently posted…Wishes for 2017 | For Travel and LifeMy Profile

• January 4, 2017 / 5:59 am

Thanks – we are very excited for 2017! Travel definitely doesn’t have to stop with a baby only change

10. January 4, 2017 / 7:48 am

Good on you! Life as you know it shouldn’t change with the arrival of kids. You just adapt. Having kids certainly hasn’t stopped us adventuring.
    #familyfun

11. January 4, 2017 / 2:41 pm

I am so very jealous of your plans they do truly sound amazing. We have tried out best to keep up but admittedly adapt our travel now we have children. We have two now and 1 and 2 year old and it certainly presents it’s challenges but it is still possible! I can’t wait to hear all about your adventures over the coming year. Thank you for joining us at #familyfun xx
    tammymum recently posted…#FamilyFun…Week 16My Profile

• January 4, 2017 / 3:03 pm

Aw thank you! Yes can imagine two especially with that small an age gap would be quite challenging!

12. January 5, 2017 / 8:49 am

This is SO so true! Babies may take a little more organisation, but why should you put adventuring on hold? They’ll have such a fun childhood!

13. January 5, 2017 / 8:59 am

Ah I love this! I’m due to have my first baby in March and although I’ve been trying to book some trips up, Mr Ayla and other people keep trying to put me off, telling me we shouldn’t be taking away such a young baby. So glad to hear that you’ve still managed to travel so much with your little one. I’m so excited to start exploring the world as a family!

• January 5, 2017 / 9:16 am

Travel definitely changes but definitely doesn’t have to stop. We are expats so have to travel and it has been amazing. So nice to share travel with a baby. Lots of info on blog about how we do it and tips and guides. Hope you convince hubby otherwise.

14. January 5, 2017 / 12:50 pm

oh this is fab. I was so reluctant to take my son abroad that we didn’t choose to do it until last year when he was 2 1/2. We had nothing to worry about though, he absolutely loved it! #HMcapturingmoments

• January 5, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Thank you! Glad you have got away and hope you get more travels in 2017

15. January 5, 2017 / 5:03 pm

I love this post. We travelled and went out and about a lot in general before we had our baby and was told the same “well you won’t be doing as much when baby comes” um yes we will! We have found slings to be amazing -I’m now a peer supporter for a sling library as I have such a passion for them! We haven’t managed to get abroad but have done SO much this past year! This year we are going to take the plunge and go abroad and I can’t wait 🙂
    People always tell us can’t believe how much you get out and about etc with a baby. Like you have to have some sort of superpower to do so!

• January 5, 2017 / 5:41 pm

No superpowers just planning. I hope you have an amazing time abroad and have more adventures nearer home

16. January 5, 2017 / 6:55 pm

I loved this post. The only thing missing for me was geocaches. #familyfun

• January 5, 2017 / 7:30 pm

Aww thankyou – I must admit I am a geocache virgin! Always wondered about it but never got round to checking it out

17. January 6, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Oh that last sentence says it all! That is why we travel with our kids. Wished we had done more when they were tiny. #HMcapturingmoments

18. January 7, 2017 / 1:35 am

This is so great. Have you ever seen the quote “Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal”? I’m not a mom, but friends have told me that traveling with a baby is a huge ordeal. You prove that it can be a wonderful adventure!
    CatherineRose recently posted…100th Post: Looking back at 3 years of bloggingMy Profile

• January 7, 2017 / 6:30 am

Aww thank you. I have never heard hat quote but it will become a new fave I’m sure! Thank you for your thoughtful

19. January 9, 2017 / 7:08 am

Wow it looks like you’ve got a busy year ahead! I hope you have lots of wonderful adventures and that you can continue making your dreams come true #MarvMondays
    Lucy At Home recently posted…Why Can’t She Stop Growing Up?!My Profile

20. January 9, 2017 / 11:10 am

I agree that babies let you travel for cheaper! That’s a good way to look at it. How lucky is baby to have been to so many places. If my partner didn’t work so much hours this is what we would be doing.
    #MarvMondays

21. January 9, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I absolutely love your attitude and am super jealous of your adventures. Too many parents are over cautious about travelling with a little one, but if it wasn’t or having an 8 year old too and being tied to school holidays which are extortionate prices then I’d travel alot more. Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays

22. January 10, 2017 / 3:13 am

OK you are making even more so want a baby!!!!! She’s so adorable. With my older ones I was sos acred to travel, but I agree now I would travel with a baby any day! #marvmondays
    Mackenzie Glanville recently posted…What is my blog really all about?My Profile

23. January 10, 2017 / 1:21 pm

love it! Following your travels with envy, mine kids do not even have a passport! But one day we will take them travelling. Thanks for linking up #hmcapturingmoments

• January 10, 2017 / 1:33 pm

I hope you get your travels soon! Baby E had to get her passport pic day we left hospital for visa reasons – looks nothing like it already

24. January 11, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Wow I think you’re an inspiration and I think that your little one is incredibly lucky to be able to experience such amazing adventures with you. You’re absolutely right though – babies are portable, and they only know what we introduce them to, so if she is introduced to travel with you then she will know and love it just as you do. Gorgeous photos! Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

25. January 11, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Wow, what incredible memories you are making for all of you. I love these photos; I think you are brilliant for taking a baby around the world; we only made it as far as Centre Parcs in our first year as a family! Once we ‘braved it’ and went abroad we regretted not doing it sooner.

Thank you so much for linking up to #HMCapturingMoments, hope to see you again tomorrow! x

• January 11, 2017 / 6:09 pm

Centre Parcs are great too! Important to spend time together as family – that’s the main thing. Hope you get away again soon

26. January 24, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Your little baby is a well traveled one! I totally agree with all your arguments. We experience it in the same way. We have been traveling six months through Europe with our son who was 9 months when we left. Now we have a baby girl. She is 10 weeks and we have plans to leave this spring again for a long term trip. They are indeed so portable! Two carriers and we’re good to go!
    Happy travels!

• January 24, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Wow good for you! Where are you heading on your next adventure – can’t wait to follow along

27. January 31, 2017 / 9:08 pm

“She may never remember but we will never forget!” I love your quote! You guys are such a great example for other traveling families and you’re making fabulous memories together! We travel with our little one too, it’s fantastic 🙂 There’s really no reason to stop traveling once you have kids, is there. #fearlessfamtrav
    Lisa – FlipFlopGlobetrotters.com recently posted…10 tried and tested tips for flying with infants and toddlersMy Profile

28. February 1, 2017 / 8:39 am

It’s funny how people always say enjoy your hols before you have babies isn’t it? We’ve had the best hols since having them! Xx .#fearlessfamtrav

29. February 1, 2017 / 11:27 am

I love your ethos! I am so with you on travelling with young children. They are very portable and we have had some incredible times together.. Looking forward to reading all about your adventures this year and next! #fearlessfamtrav
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…City Tripping #62My Profile

• February 1, 2017 / 11:46 am

Thank you – we are definitely enjoying this stage. Thanks for linking up!

30. February 1, 2017 / 11:53 am

All really good points! It’s hardly a scientific conclusion, but we also travelled widely when our eldest child was a baby – 17 countries in his first year! – and he is without doubt a very “curious and accepting” boy, who is now developing an interest in travel too.

Thanks for the #FearlessFamTrav linky, and good luck with your 2017 travel plans!
    Jonny (Daisy the bus) recently posted…The “Nederlands Openlucht Museum”My Profile

• February 1, 2017 / 12:09 pm

That’s scientific enough for me! Wow have you written a post on that year? Would love to read it!

31. February 1, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I keep trying to tell my family that traveliing when they are little portable and containable (somewhat) is a fabulous time! As a mom of older kids – my three haven’t been babies in nearly a decade – I will tell you travel can continue, it just evolves! It’s a mindset and teaching kids young is a great way to get them in it! #FearlessFamTrav

• February 1, 2017 / 3:11 pm

I think that’s the mindset you have to have with travel with children of any age. Glad you are proof that travel continues to be possible

• February 1, 2017 / 3:13 pm

We are just starting to be mobile so things are about to change but early days were super easy for us

32. February 1, 2017 / 6:08 pm

You have one super well-travelled 8 month old, you’re a family after my own heart. I totally agree with everything you said, haivng travelled myself since the age of 10 days, lived in 9 countries and been to 64 (I think!! Maybe 65) Being an expat since birth and ATCK I introduced my 2 kids to travel by 3 months and they have now been to 30 (the 17 y.o) and 26 (the 11 y.o) countries….Thanks for starting this linky, it’s going to be fun.
    Phoebe @ lou messugo recently posted…Sunday Photo – Paris sceneMy Profile

• February 1, 2017 / 6:11 pm

Wow – we need to travel more to catch up with you! I am so pleased you kept the adventurous spirit from 10 days old as I really want my daughter to have that. Love all your France posts so can’t wait to get to know your “fearless family” more!

33. February 2, 2017 / 7:30 am

Babie are sooo portable! Had we known how much easier travel was with just one baby rather than 3, we would have done so much more travel in our daughters earlier days. And the savings when they can share just the one bed with you!!! So glad to see you flying the family travel flag for babies, its really a great experience
    Keri recently posted…Expat Parenting in SingaporeMy Profile

• February 2, 2017 / 8:00 am

We are just getting to the mobile period so our world is about to change again

34. February 2, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Babies can be the easiest stage to travel with, though I do think it can depend on the baby! My oldest was extremely fussy, while my youngest is go with the flow and was easier to transport around. Having said that, I always say that when my girls were babies that was the easier time getting around NYC because they weren’t old enough to run off and get lost in the mix. Love the name #fearlessfamtrav

• February 2, 2017 / 5:16 pm

I agree with as with anything depends on the child and we are lucky that we have a pretty chill one!

35. February 2, 2017 / 8:37 pm

We love travelling with our children, and found it easy to get about the littler they were! (I do remember one particularly stressful flight and holiday with an 18 mth though!) Also it is great to visit lots of places with them before you become stuck with the school holidays (sob!) We used to love getting away in May or September , away from busy crowds , really high temps and from the expensive flights! Haha we still have great fun on trips but oh how I would love a sneaky term time trip !! Loved your photographs on this post -lovely memories! #fearlessfamtrav
    Coral -Way Too Much Luggage recently posted…If you go down to the woods today…My Profile

• February 3, 2017 / 6:41 am

Great tip about May and September and school holidays! Everyone says 18months is difficult which is when we are doing our round the world trip 😬

36. February 3, 2017 / 7:30 am

You made me miss the days where my kids didn’t need air tickets of their own… You’re so right that travelling with a baby is cheaper than later on. Drop me a message when you’re in Singapore! #FearlessFamTrav

• February 3, 2017 / 7:56 am

Definitely will do! Will be end of June I think 😃!

37. February 3, 2017 / 9:46 am

Whenever I travelled with my son when he was a baby I was always amazed at how much he seemed to develop during those trips. He adapted and learned, adapted more and learned more with every adventure. Even now that he is 3.5 years old, I still find that travel increases his knowledge and language skills more than our normal lives ever does. Great post – I hope it inspires more parents to be brave and just travel with their bubs!!
    Ali May recently posted…Reflecting on January 2017My Profile

• February 3, 2017 / 2:53 pm

Aww thank you – that’s our aim! I agree that you see such developmental leaps while you travel

38. February 3, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I absolutely agree. My family didn’t travel much as a kid so I was determined not to listen to those people that tell us we’re foolish for traveling with our babies. I get why they said that- our kids won’t remember it- but I choose to see it differently. By traveling with our kids, we’re helping them develop that sense of curiosity and wonder with the world. If we wait, that curiosity might not develop. So true, maybe they won’t remember the details of individual trips much when they’re older, but each trip will add to their view of the world. And that is what matters to me. My kids are passed the “easily portable” stage (my daughter is three and my son is just over one) but they’re still awesome travelers. And my daughter has already developed a strong case of wanderlust. #fearlessfamtrav
    Allison recently posted…Travel Outtakes: When Things Go WrongMy Profile

39. February 3, 2017 / 7:18 pm

I think you make a very good point, too many people wait to take their kids on trips till they will remember them, this is mad to me – I will remember it even if they don’t! If you only did things with your children they would be guaranteed to remember you would never go anywhere!
    Before babies are walking/running off they are more portable so it is a good age to travel i found the toddler years more difficult 2-4. Lucky baby that she is seeing so much of the world #fearlessfamtrav

• February 4, 2017 / 4:54 am

Completely agree and we have found development leaps when we travel so important to realise it can have effects even without creating memories

40. February 4, 2017 / 1:18 pm

What great adventures you have ahead of you this year and next. Yes, travelling with children when they are really small is definitely cheaper. We’re on the cusp of having to pay full air fares for both ours and it does put me off a little bit. Get in as much overseas travel while it’s cheaper! #fearlessfamilytrav
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…Discovered in Devon: Coast View and ODE&CoMy Profile

• February 4, 2017 / 4:18 pm

That’s a great point! Hope you get lots of travel in before you have to pay more

41. February 5, 2017 / 4:26 pm

We think travelling with kids is great. We have found travelling when the boys were babies a lot easier. Although it is just like every day life even when on holiday. They still have their moments haha. Hope you have a great 2017 for family travels! #fearlessfamtrav

• February 5, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Agree – you have good days and bad anywhere! Can’t wait to read more about your adventures in 2017

42. February 6, 2017 / 8:02 pm

Have so enjoyed reading this, and you are 100% right, babies are so portable. We travelled to Innsbruck & Paris with our non-mobile baby and looking back we should have done more trips! But no regrets, just my advice is the same as yours, that with a baby, travel travel travel if you want to and can. Looking forward to reading all about your 2017 adventures! #fearlessfamtrav

• February 7, 2017 / 4:10 am

Thank you so much for commenting! we are just getting to the point of having a fully mobile baby so I am interested (?) to see how travel changes with that! Looking forward to reading about your new adventures in Berlin.

Thanks for linking up to the first #fearlessfamtrav – hope you can join again next month!

43. February 7, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Really good reasons for travelling with a baby – it is so much easier when they are not mobile! We’re just now adjusting to travelling with a toddler, so looking forward to hearing about your experiences in 2017. #fearlessfamtrav

• February 7, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Yes mobility is just round the corner for us so we are about to mention a whole new world

44. May 31, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Wow this is so inspiring. We’ve taken our 9-month-old to Portugal and Yorkshire, but thats about it. #FamilyTravelTips

45. May 31, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Babies are so portable – well done on maintaining your adventurous life style. #familytraveltips

46. May 31, 2017 / 9:18 pm

completely agree with you! I’ve had people say to me what’s the point on going on so many days out, Eric [our son] won’t remember it. I think that’s rude and insensitive! it doesn’t matter if he remembers it or not (and he will, anyway) it’s our experience as a family as well as his 🙂
    #familytraveltips
    naomi recently posted…#1: Gemma: A day out at Renishaw Hall and Gardens – Your Experiences seriesMy Profile

• June 1, 2017 / 6:28 pm

Exactly people forget the importance of parental memories too

47. June 3, 2017 / 10:15 pm

Oh, I really love this post. You’re so right, it’s no problem to travel with a baby. It sounds like you are all having some amazing adventures together. Thanks so much for linking up to #FamilyTravelTips.
    Nat.x