Baby’s First Summer Holiday Ideas – June – August

Baby’s First Summer Holiday Ideas – June – August

There are so many firsts to treasure with your new baby – Christmas, Birthdays, food, smiles. One of the firsts I was most looking forward to was taking baby on her first summer holiday! But where is the perfect destination for baby’s first summer holiday? Here some of our favourite  family travel bloggers tell you about our favourite places to go for Baby’s first summer holiday.  So whether you want city breaks, beach breaks, European holidays or something more exotic we have you covered  with some great global suggestions for baby’s first summer holiday ideas.

Baby’s First Summer Holiday Ideas – June

Greece by Explore as a Family

Age: 3 months

Baby's First Holiday - Greece

Baby’s First Holiday – Greece

We went to Greece in June 2016 when my daughter was 3 months old. We did a week island hopping the Greek islands by ferry and then one week seeing Athens, Delphi and Meteora by car. Greece is the perfect place to travel with kids – the weather is beautiful, there’s a perfect mix of culture and beaches, sights to see and places to relax.

The greek people LOVE families and went out of their way to make us comfortable at every destination. My biggest tip would be to get a structured carrier since many of the islands and sites like the acropolis aren’t stroller friendly. In Santorini we brought our stroller into Fira and Oia on the first day only to carry it around most of the day.

Malta & London in June by Wanderlust and Wetwipes

Age: 9 weeks

Baby's First Summer Holiday - Malta

Baby’s First Summer Holiday – Malta

We stayed with family in London and in the Grand Hotel on Gozo, Malta. London was great as we were thrilled to show off our new family member but it was an experience to visit a town that we knew well with a new baby as suddenly the public transport routes you knew well are useless without step free access (and even when there is access sometimes it takes you all over the shop instead of straight up the escalators!).

Malta is incredibly welcoming to kids and of course being part of the wedding party AND having a tiny baby got us a lot of attention! We took far too much stuff but it was what I needed to do at the time. I got a travel boppy the day before we left and it was actually one of the best things I ever bought!

Its easier said than done but I would say to relax when things don’t go to plan or schedules are thrown off. When its your first everything seems so stressful but in fact travelling with small babies is so much easier than when they are any other age. If you are going to be busy (as we were for the wedding) then planning is key – I was militant about pumping enough milk that my husband could do some of the feeds and so I could have a drink as well

Fiji in June by Escape with Kids

Age: 10 months.

Baby's First Summer Holiday - Fiji

Baby’s First Summer Holiday – Fiji

“Fiji is the perfect destination for baby’s first holiday. Relax in the warm, tropical weather, spend hours playing with bub in the water, then pass baby into the loving arms of a mei mei nanny for a couple of hours. Bliss!”

Baby’s First Summer Holiday Ideas – JULY

European Travels by What Ali Sees

Age: 1 year

Our destination was London, Paris, Wroclaw (Poland), Ayrshire (Scotland), London. It was a whirlwind 2 week trip visiting friends in London, attending a wedding in Poland, visiting Culzean Castle in Scotland for our 10th wedding anniversary  (as this was the venue of our wedding), then back to London for more exploring and showing our son where we used to live.

The 30 hour flight from Australia with a 1 year old might scare a lot of people off choosing this kind of holiday, but we handled it pretty well. Our son was too big for the bassinet on the plane so we only used that for play time and snacks. The rest of the flight he sat snuggled into me.

We didn’t let jetlag keep us at home when we arrived in London. In fact we got straight out exploring and letting our son experience the grass beneath his feet in a new country. He proved to us, from a very early age how resilient and interested he is in exploring new places. The whole trip was such a great confidence booster for us as parents too! We realised that we could travel far and wide with him, as long as we allowed him to have at least 1 nap a day, we could still get out with the stroller and see everything we wanted to.

Bali by Flip Flop Globetrotters

Age: 18 months

When our son was 18 months old we decided to travel with him for a year. We stayed in our own holiday house in Dahab, Egypt for 2 months and then traveled to Bali with him. The both of us had in been in South East Asia before, but never with our little one. And for all three of us it was our first introduction to Indonesia.

We chose Bali because it would be easy to find diapers and such for our son, but were a bit worried it might be too touristy for us. Through their blog I knew a Dutch family that lived in Sanur with their 2 small kids. So we decided Sanur would be our starting point. We even stayed in our blogger friends’ house (a gorgeous 3-bedroom 3-bathroom villa with private pool!) for a week when they were in Holland.

We spend our two months in Sanur, Nusa Lembongan, Amed and a small village north of Ubud. Being budget travelers we chose to eat mostly at small warungs and food markets, which was a brilliant way to meet people. The Balinese love kids and our son was a great conversion starter 🙂 We liked Bali a lot more than we anticipated, largely due to the lovely locals we met. There are still a lot of areas where you can experience authentic Balinese Hindu culture.

Baby’s First Summer Holiday Ideas – AUGUST

Ardeche and Alps by Travelling with Our Kids

Baby's First Holiday The Alps

Baby’s First Holiday The Alps

How Old – 6 months

We took a road trip all the way from Scotland to the South of France (Ardeche). We were on a Eurocamp holiday in a caravan which we always enjoy. For the second week we travelled to the Alps and stayed in a lovely caravan site. There was a lot of travelling involved but we would highly recommend a road trip with a baby. As long as you are stopping regularly on the journey and watch the heat (especially in the summer month in the Ardeche) it makes for a great holiday. We found most places we visited to be baby friendly although having a portable highchair does come in handy when travelling in France (from our experience)

Where did you or are you planning on taking your baby on their first summer holiday?

Why not call back to the blog over the next couple of weeks as we provide great suggestions for baby’s first Winter, Spring and Autumn holidays.

To be the first to know when these posts are published why not subscribe to our blog!

Baby's first summer holiday ideas

Baby’s first summer holiday ideas

http://

MummyTravels

http://

Plutonium Sox

http://

Suitcases and Sandcastles

http://WANDERLUST KIDS

1. June 12, 2017 / 6:00 am

Great post Leona! I love that each of these families show how the experience of travelling with a baby can be completely do-able. Thanks for featuring my little story in this post too!

2. June 12, 2017 / 6:53 am

Awesome post! I love how you’ve broken it up month by month and there’s such a great range of experiences. Looking forward to the next instalment!
    Anita recently posted…24 Hours on Santo, VanuatuMy Profile

3. June 13, 2017 / 7:12 am

Some great inspiration – I love the variety too, it shows just what you can do with a baby. Our first trip was to Lanzarote which was a great option although just back from Greece, I can imagine that would havr bern ideal as well. Don’t think I’d have tried Long-haul first though Bali or Fiji would be amazing! Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…City Tripping #80My Profile

4. June 13, 2017 / 8:25 am

I love to see all these little ones out traveling. I agree that “baby’s first vacation” is my favorite milestone as well!

5. June 13, 2017 / 10:36 am

So many great ideas here and very inspiring to read other families’ experiences traveling with babies! Little T’s first summer holiday at 9 months old was to the Philippines to visit my side of the family. It was a fun trip and he did well with the long-haul journey. For our second baby, who is arriving in August, we are planning her first summer holiday to be in Mexico and her very first long haul trip to be to California in November. #CityTripping
    Cindy recently posted…Visiting Magic Kingdom with a PreschoolerMy Profile

6. June 13, 2017 / 5:34 pm

Love this post so much! Especially since the people in a lot of these places were welcoming and happy to have families and babies along with them. Getting to Gozo must have been a bit of an ordeal though. #citytripping
    Kat recently posted…Street art in LA’s Arts DistrictMy Profile

7. June 16, 2017 / 3:05 pm

A good variety of posts here. Our first baby holiday was to Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt. Our little boy loved the pool. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #33My Profile

8. June 16, 2017 / 9:24 pm

I’m glad Bali made the list. We took our twins there at 9 months and they were spoilt rotten by the gorgeous Balinese people. I actually think travelling with a baby is way easier than with a toddler (or two!) – so I’m looking forward to the next instalments in this series #FarawayFiles
    Katy Clarke recently posted…7 different ways to see fjords in NorwayMy Profile

9. June 17, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I recommend to everyone to travel before baby starts MOVING on its own. Much easier! We flew many times across the States to see family when we lived elsewhere, but the biggest trip was probably taking our 10-month-old to Australia from Oregon – he slept in the baby bassinet half the time – we felt like it was a success! Thanks for sharing with #FarawayFiles, Erin
    Erin Gustafson recently posted…Faraway Files #33My Profile

10. June 19, 2017 / 12:26 pm

what an awesome idea for a round up post! My son was born in March (09) so his first trip was an Amtrak ride from NYC to Washington DC! Then that summer we flew to Maine to see his grandma! Such a special time!

11. June 20, 2017 / 5:07 am

What a great list of locations! Love that these families continue to travel and promote it!

12. June 20, 2017 / 5:25 pm

Our first trip abroad with the girls has been to France and the Netherlands. I’d love to go somewhere new so thank you for the suggestions. #familytraveltips

13. Shane Prather
    June 20, 2017 / 8:04 pm

What an inspiring compilation! I’ve always been worried I wouldn’t be able to travel once kids come into the picture. Proves this is a myth!

14. June 20, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Such lovely ideas and inspiration! Our first was a very brief trip to Scotland for a wedding and then 4 days later – Cape Town at aged 11 weeks. Each age definitely has its challenges but generally the younger the easier it is!
    Thanks for linking up to #familytraveltips

• June 25, 2017 / 9:38 pm

I love Cape Town though not been with the baby but think it would be a fantastic holiday with a young family

15. June 20, 2017 / 8:39 pm

Oh some amazing ideas! I love the fact you took ideas from so many brilliant bloggers. I took my eldest to Paris for her first holiday but it was a work trip. Our other holidays have all been within the UK but I look forward to exploring further afield with them. Thank you for linking up to #familiytraveltips.
    Nat.x

• June 25, 2017 / 9:38 pm

There are some UK based first holidays in the Autumn and Winter edition! I think it is important to appreciate your own country as well as abroad for travel. Where did you head?

16. June 20, 2017 / 11:57 pm

I am always worried a baby will be the end of my travelling days, but it is reassuring to see so many families still travelling! There is hope for me yet 🙂

17. June 21, 2017 / 2:18 am

Wonderful post! It’s so lovely to see people traveling with their kids at every age. We took our little one to Kyoto, Japan for her first trip at 5 months of age, and she hasn’t stopped traveling since, and now at 20 months, she’s visited 8 different countries and taken over 25 flights! 🙂 (found this post through Monday Escapes).
    Shelley recently posted…Le Tatin: the best little Crêperie in Seoul you don’t know aboutMy Profile

• June 25, 2017 / 9:29 pm

What a lucky little girl. We are going to Japan in the autumn – would love yo hear your tips

18. June 21, 2017 / 10:33 am

There are some really fab ideas here. I visited both Bali and Figi pre kids and lved them both. Time to take the kids back I think. Thanks for linking up to #MOndayEscapes

19. June 25, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Lovely to read where other families have ventured on their first holiday. For our two boys, they would have gone to the Ardeche like TWOK, and I took my daughter to NYC (lucky girl!)

• June 25, 2017 / 9:29 pm

That sounds fantastic! Very lucky girl indeed! What time of year did you go?

20. July 1, 2017 / 7:57 am

So many great summer holidays with babies. Great suggestion for older kids too.

21. July 1, 2017 / 8:19 am

Lots of inspiration here! For both of the boys’ first summers we went camping in the Dordogne, France. A nice easy drive from Kent, where we used to live, meant we could pack what we wanted and had the flexibility to stop when needed. For our youngest he was just months old.

22. July 1, 2017 / 9:41 am

Even though we contributed ourselves, this gives me so much inspiration for future travels. How awesome to see so many other families travel with young kids! Our son is a toddler by now, but child-friendly is child-friendly and these are all great destinations to visit. I especially love the idea of island hopping in Greece! #FearlessFamTrav
    Lisa – FlipFlopGlobetrotters.com recently posted…Top 10 children’s museums in the Netherlands (suitable for toddlers)My Profile

23. July 1, 2017 / 11:23 am

Great inspirational post showing that just because you have young kids shouldn’t stop your passion for travel

24. July 1, 2017 / 7:50 pm

We went from London to Edinburgh on the sleeper train for my friends’ wedding when my son was 6 weeks old. It was great fun. I think it’s much easier when they are very small. My son is now just about to turn 8, and while that’s not bad, I think the toddler years are the tough ones when it comes to travelling.

#fearlessfamtrav
    Erin recently posted…What to do with kids in Vancouver when it rainsMy Profile

25. July 2, 2017 / 2:06 pm

Great collection of family travels & adventures! Thanks! We just passed the first year milestone for the 2nd time with an impressive list again 😉 Spain, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Nevis, Romania, France. Many more to come and looking forward

26. Some gorgeous ideas. My eldest’s first holiday abroad was an all inclusive resort in Majorca, my daughter’s was a luxury holiday in Turkey and my youngest’s was a caravan in Spain!

27. July 2, 2017 / 8:41 pm

What a fab post! Bali is definitely on my bucket list…! Would love to take the kids there !

28. July 2, 2017 / 9:17 pm

What a fun post! I love getting a glimpse into each of the destinations. Someday Fiji and I will meet!

29. July 2, 2017 / 9:46 pm

A great choice of places for baby’s first holiday. I think anywhere is pretty doable with a baby. Would love to do some travels further afield but we love exploring Europe too much! Thank you for including us! #FearlessFamTrav

30. July 3, 2017 / 2:35 pm

I love this article; it’s so inspiring for families worried about travelling with little ones. I know I was terrified before our first trip! It’s great to see so many people taking the plunge and seeing such lovely places. #FearlessFamTrav

31. July 3, 2017 / 6:24 pm

So many different ideas – I love the Fiji one – very adventurous with a baby – wouldn’t have worked for us as with twins we would each have had one on our knee for the whole flight -ahghghg! We avoided flying till ours were 2 for that reason and so our first summer holiday was the ferry to France – not very glamorous but practicality takes over when you have babies! Thanks for this awesome round up of baby holidays! #Fearlessfamtrav
    Wherejogoes recently posted…ROYAL INTERNATIONAL AIR TATTOO -WITH KIDSMy Profile

• July 3, 2017 / 10:09 pm

I think any holiday uk staycation or Fiji is great! It’s about family time

32. July 4, 2017 / 3:48 am

Oh what I wouldn’t give to see any one of these places! #fearlessfamtrav

33. July 4, 2017 / 9:39 am

#wanderlustkids – some great ideas and destinations there, especially fiji and bali 🙂

34. July 4, 2017 / 10:03 pm

It’s great to show new parents that you can still travel all over the world even with a baby! Some really good destinations listed and helpful to show the time of year too. #fearlessfamtrav

• July 4, 2017 / 10:18 pm

Thank you – hope you enjoy the autumn, winter and spring edition too!

35. July 5, 2017 / 8:41 am

Still love this post 🙂 #fearlessfamtrav

36. July 5, 2017 / 11:01 am

What a lovely post that goes to show the world is still your ocean with a baby. We loved Malta too, ours were big then but can see it being lovely with a baby.

37. July 5, 2017 / 2:50 pm

such a wonderful collection of ideas for families wanting to get away with their baby. Lots of Inspiration! coming from #fearlessfamtrav

38. July 5, 2017 / 3:01 pm

The first summer holiday our son went on was to Slovenia when he was 18 months old. He had travelled before but not during summer time. And we loved it. We stayed near Lake Bled and ventured further with him with no problems at all. A great country to visit. #fearlessfamtrav

39. July 31, 2017 / 2:20 pm

There are some great ideas in there for people wondering where to take their baby on their first summer holiday. I’d love to visit Bali or Fiji one day, although it will most likely be when our son is older. Thanks for linking up to #wanderlustkids
    Cath – BattleMum recently posted…Organised Mess – What Does Your Star Sign Say About You?My Profile