What to do Portmeirion – 8 amazing ideas

What to do Portmeirion – 8 amazing ideas

When we were looking for things to do during our trip to North Wales, Portmeirion was mentioned to me countless times so I really had to go! Portmeirion is a pastel coloured village situated nearby Portmadog. But this is no ordinary Welsh village. Operated by a commercial entity and looking more like Portofino or Cinque Terre than Portmadog or Prestatyn, Portmeirion is completely unique – but what is there to do on a day trip to Portmeirion?

Portmeirion Village Admission

What to Do Portmeirion

What to Do Portmeirion

Admission for adults costs 12GBP for adults and Children 8GBP. If you book online before you arrive you get a pound off admission. If you live nearby or think you may visit a couple of times in a year, then the annual pass at 25GBP seems like great value! Parking is included in the price of the ticket.

What to do Portmeirion: 8 things to see and do

Take a guided tour of Portmeirion

Included in the admission price is a guided tour of the village. The guides are funny and knowledgable and are only to eager to answer your questions!

Take a train ride through the woodlands

What to do in portmeirion: a woodland train ride

What to do in portmeirion: a woodland train ride

For those not feeling like a stroll through the woodlands, there is a free train ride that takes you around the key sights of the Portmeirion woodlands. On a nicer day we would have stopped to walk around especially at the Chinese Lake but this is just something to return to do!

Note: The train ride is included in admission price

Spend time on the beach

What to do Portmeirion: Beaches

What to do Portmeirion: Beaches

Portmeirion has access to miles of pristine, golden beaches. On a nicer day I could have happily spent the whole day with a picnic down on the beach. It was blissful to have such a beautiful beach to ourselves.

Marvel at the architecture

What to do Portmeirion: architecture

What to do Portmeirion: architecture

You would be forgiven for thinking the pictures were taking at Portfino or Cinque Terre. The pastel coloured wonderland is an architectural gem to be marvelled at. The beautiful colours brighten even the dreariest of days.

Be a free man not a number!

For Fantasy fans reminisce about the famous series The Prisoner which was filmed in the village. There are reminders of the show all round the town and the most ardent fan can pick up some Prisoner memorabilia.

Take a dip in the lido

On a nicer day, the kids would love splashing around in the lido in the village square.

Buy some pottery

A visit to Portmeirion wouldn’t be complete without a trip into the pottery and seconds shop.

Note: I’ll admit I didn’t go in but I didn’t want to coin a new term: like a toddler in a China shop! Though I did admire some of the pieces from afar!

Have a sweet treat

There are many lovely shops at Portmeirion, but my favourites had to be the gelateria. I also loved stopping for a cream tea – a British holiday isn’t complete without a cream team in my opinion

Staying at Portmeirion

I hadn’t realised that it is possible to stay at Portmeirion. The hotel looks the epitome of luxury with spectacular views. It is a new item for my hotel and UK bucket list!

Have you visited Portmeirion? What would you recommend doing? Or why not give me some wanderlust and tell me about what its like staying in Portmeirion.
What to do in portmeirion

What to do in portmeirion

Disclaimer: We were guests of Portmeirion Village but as always the views are our own.

1. Stuart R
    August 7, 2017 / 10:31 pm

Stay in the hotel by all means, but for a truly special and memorable experience, stay in one of the cottages in the centre of the village. When the day visitors have gone, you have the place pretty much to yourself. Then, as the sun starts to disappear behind the trees, it becomes a magical place. In the morning, as you wander down to the main hotel for breakfast, once again, the village is yours. Then, at 9.30, when the gates to the outside world open, and the day visitors start to arrive, you can wear that smug look that says, Portmeirion, for a few hours at least, was mine!

• August 7, 2017 / 10:58 pm

That sounds like an amazing experience. I would love to actually stay in the village when the day visitors have gone home. What a special experience you must have had! I also quite fancied the onsite spa!

• Stuart R
        August 7, 2017 / 11:37 pm

Stay in Chantry Row and first thing in the morning, and last thing at night, stand on the balcony of the cottage and look out across the village. Priceless!

• August 8, 2017 / 10:50 am

hanks for the recommendation! I am going to have a google of Chantry Row now!

• September 25, 2017 / 9:43 pm

ooh I totally agree with this comment. But also agree that you should take in a sweet treat and enjoy just marvelling too. Thanks for linking up to #MondayEscapes

2. August 8, 2017 / 10:42 am

Wonderful ideas. I would definitely try them out when I visit here. These are all kids friendly and family friendly list of things to do, and I like that

3. August 8, 2017 / 7:58 pm

It’s a few years since we last visited Portmeirion. I think the train is a new addition that my kids would love. They’d also love the lido and gelateria. #familytraveltips

4. August 9, 2017 / 5:36 am

This looks like a great place to visit! I have never heard of it before, but it seems to have a little bit of everything – green woods, bright architecture, beaches… Putting this on our travel list. Thanks!

5. August 10, 2017 / 11:21 am

We visited Portmeirion last year during our holiday in North Wales. The weather wasn’t great either, which was a pity as I really wanted to capture the vivid colours. It is a fascinating place. We walked through the woods and found money trees – trunks of old trees decorated with coins.
    #farawayfiles
    Trish @ Mum’s Gone To recently posted…Graduation road trip: ExeterMy Profile

• August 10, 2017 / 12:04 pm

Wow the weather was too bad to see that for us but a reason to return

6. August 10, 2017 / 12:19 pm

What a fantatsic place to visit! I’d never heard of it and looks so colourful. I find it a tad odd you have to pay to actually visit the village?
    #farawayfiles
    TraveLynn Family – Jenny Lynn recently posted…Bangalore with kidsMy Profile

• August 10, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Yes it is surprising. It isn’t a inhabited village though and is there as an attraction now

• Stuart R
      August 10, 2017 / 1:00 pm

The village, the dream and project of one man, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, is now owned and managed by a Trust. Admission charges and the revenue received from the hotel and self-catering cottages are used to maintain it. You can see more at http://www.portmeirion-village.com.

7. August 10, 2017 / 5:59 pm

I’d love to visit Portmeirion – it’s been on my Welsh bucket list for ages. It looks a bit like the palaces of Sintra in Portugal. Those beaches look amazing too. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #41My Profile

• August 10, 2017 / 9:36 pm

It’s fabulous Clare I think you’d really enjoy it.

8. August 10, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I went to Portmeirion as a child on a family holiday and would love to go back as I don’t remember half of what there is there. I’d love to stay there as well, what a fabulous experience to have it to yourself at night
    #farawayfiles
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…A two-week Cambodia itinerary with kidsMy Profile

• August 10, 2017 / 9:35 pm

I think you’d love it Cathy! I am now desperate to return and stay overnight

9. August 10, 2017 / 10:08 pm

It sounds strange to pay to enter a village! But with the tour included and especially for the year pass it’s much better value. It is always better to stay overnight if you can for sure!

• August 11, 2017 / 11:11 am

Yes it is not a village in a traditional sense though! There aren’t any residents and it is great value once inside

10. August 11, 2017 / 10:55 am

We have stayed at Portmerion, the first time for work and the second time on a full board basis just as my morning/afternoon/evening sickness kicked in and I only wanted to eat poached pears. It is a beautiful place to stay especially in the evening when the public are gone, strolling across the sand at low tide looking back at the village was my favourite. #FarawayFiles
    Catherine’s Cultural Wednesdays recently posted…42nd STREET at the Theatre Royal, Drury LaneMy Profile

• August 11, 2017 / 11:12 am

It is a stunning place! I feel you on the morning/afternoon and evening sickness. So hard to travel when it kicks in

11. August 15, 2017 / 9:06 am

Looks lovely – especially that hotel! I’d take a room with a sea view. Thanks for joining #FarawayFiles
    Katy recently posted…Faraway Files #41My Profile

12. I second Katy! Would love a stay with a room on the water! My friends had this pottery growing up, so I can picture it vividly – looks like a lovely day out. Thanks for sharing with #FarawayFiles, Erin

• August 16, 2017 / 10:27 pm

My mother in law has the pottery too so nice to see where it came from

13. August 19, 2017 / 9:41 am

My kids loved Portmeirion too, I think you have it covered in terms of what to do as well!

14. August 19, 2017 / 4:14 pm

This looks such a beautiful place! We had a caravan in Abersoch and visited for many years but I never headed to Portmerion. There is a festival there ever year I have always fancied trying…..
    MrsS recently posted…Outdoor fun at Wildwood Escot A Family Day Out My Profile

15. August 19, 2017 / 4:53 pm

This is such a pretty place I love it.😍

16. September 26, 2017 / 3:23 pm

That really looks like a magical and amazing place. We need to go 🙂 #MondayEscapes

17. September 27, 2017 / 4:55 pm

Oh wow the architecture looks just amazing I love to visit pretty places and I so want to visit those baths x

• September 27, 2017 / 5:41 pm

It’s amazing architecture it really transports you

18. October 12, 2017 / 4:34 pm

This looks lovely! I’ve heard of it, but never realised this was what it was like – the architecture looks amazing x

19. October 12, 2017 / 6:55 pm

I have wanted to go there for so long. Your post has made me think I’ve waited long enough. So pretty.

20. October 13, 2017 / 6:41 am

Sounds amazing. Ive always wanted to go!

21. October 13, 2017 / 8:20 pm

I would love to visit, it looks so picturesque and the hotel looks fab xx

22. October 14, 2017 / 10:48 am

Sounds lovely . There are som many different places to visit 🙂

23. October 15, 2017 / 10:58 am

We’d love to visit and have had our eyes on No.6 Festival at Portmeirion for some time! Need mega bucks though…
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Silent Sunday 15.10.17My Profile