48 hours in Oxford with a Baby – a Photo Itinerary

48 hours in Oxford with a Baby – a Photo Itinerary

Oxford is one of those places that is on everybody’s UK bucket list. Brimming with history Oxford has something to offer everyone but what should you do if you only had 48 hours in Oxford?

Best time to visit Oxford?

There is a sweet spot for visiting Oxford. You want to hit it when the students aren’t there but also avoiding the summer visitors. Therefore September is the perfect time to visit

So what are the best things to do in 48 hours in Oxford?

The Covered Market

We started our day with a walk round the covered market. It’s not huge but worth a look. The butchers inside has the worlds oldest ham apparently.

covered market, oxford

Radcliffe Camera

Then we headed to the bodelian library to see the Radcliffe camera. You can also go into the library but babies and libraries don’t usually mix.

radcliffe camera, oxford

How to visit Oxford Colleges?

One of the things I hadn’t realized about Oxford is that the Oxford colleges are open to the public. We stumbled upon New College while wondering around the city and discovered it was open so decided to go in.

wandermust family in new college oxford

Unfortunately the interior of college prohibits photography so I can’t show you how lovely it was. Our particular favorite room was the chapel, the reredos is particularly stunning.

New college is also great for children who will recognize it as the grounds of Hogwarts from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Another thing I hadn’t realized is how extensive the grounds of the colleges are and we were surprised by the beautiful garden and mound in the grounds of new college which are  enclosed by the Oxford city wall.

New college, oxford grounds

It was a beautiful spot for photos. We enjoyed walking the grounds and taking some family photos.

wandermust family in new college oxford

After a brief stop for lunch we decided to see what other colleges were open and stumbled open Magdelen college.

If we had been impressed by the grounds of New college, then Magdalen really took our breath away. Inside the college, aside from the stunning cloisters and chapel, there was a lovely garden, a view of the river where we spotted some students punting and most surprisingly a deer park.

magdalen college oxford

punters oxford

deer park, magdalen college

We took the opportunity to take some lovely family photographs while the grounds were empty before heading buck for the day.

48 Hours in Oxford – Day 2 Itinerary

On our second day we continued with our tours of the Oxford Colleges with a visit to Christ College. The most expensive of the colleges and with perhaps the most stunning dining room. This college is great for potter fans as this was used as the hogwarts dining room in Harry Potter and the philosophers stone. Entrance also includes access to the church.

We then spent our afternoon visiting some of the museums of Oxford – worthy of a post themselves The ashmolean has to be a family favorite.

We ended our day with a shopping trip including to a trip to Sanders of Oxford map shop where we bought the below map. It shows pacific currents for the part of our round the world trip we are doing by boat. We couldn’t resist.

Wandermust family top tip for families visiting Oxford

Be warned Oxford is very cobbled and our pram took a beating. Baby carriers are probably a good idea here

What are your top tips for visiting Oxford?

• September 27, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Thanks – getting some nice family photos was an aim. I had never been before but really enjoyed it

• September 27, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Yes – if the baby wasn’t with us I would have def gone in. The colleges should be on your list too

1. September 28, 2016 / 1:09 pm

You have definitely made me want to go an explore the colleges. The grounds are impressive so can only imagine what they are like inside. You got some really beautiful family photos! #citytripping

• September 28, 2016 / 8:13 pm

Thank you realised she was growing so quickly and that we had few family photos so made a real effort

2. September 28, 2016 / 11:58 pm

Lovely photos – I went to university here so it brings back some very happy memories (and ones of struggling through old books in the Bodleian!). I don’t think all the colleges are open to the public but you certainly saw some of the biggest and loveliest. We’ve had some great family days visiting the museums and the botanical gardens are definitely on my list to return to. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping

• September 29, 2016 / 5:38 am

There were a couple we saw closed on certain days but had a really good success rate stumbling across open ones

3. October 3, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Oxford girl born and bred here! I loved seeing your pics – I live in Norfolk now so it’s lovely to see pictures of home. So glad you enjoyed it xx #MarvMondays

4. October 3, 2016 / 10:07 pm

I haven’t been to Oxford in ages and definitely haven’t been back with the kids yet. It looks like you had a lovely time. Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes

5. October 5, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Oxford is such a beautiful place. We’ve been a few times living close by, though usually hit the shops, but if I’d known about the Harry Potter thing, I’d be right there!! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

• October 5, 2016 / 1:17 pm

It is stunning. We did the Harry Potter thing accidentally but I imagine it would be a great way to introduce Oxford to kids

6. October 5, 2016 / 3:08 pm

Love Oxford lived nearby forever so most of my tips relate to out of date places to go on a night out…or show that have now closed! I must make more of an effort for day trips there. My mum works in one of the colleges I love going to meet her for lunch. Great reminder of the fab city loved the post #marvmondays

• October 5, 2016 / 4:27 pm

You’re very lucky to live so close. The colleges are so beautiful

7. October 5, 2016 / 8:48 pm

Couldn’t resist reading your post as I’m an Oxonian. The Radcliffe Camera is where hubby and I had our first kiss. #MarvMondays

• October 6, 2016 / 8:33 am

Aww thanks – glad it bought back a happy memory 😃

8. October 5, 2016 / 9:47 pm

Oxford really is an amazing place. Tope tip about visiting in September, away from the summer crowds but before the students take over…. #MondayEscapes

9. November 30, 2016 / 8:27 am

It is years since I’ve visited Oxford and you’ve just reminded me what stunning architecture and public gardens it has. Great advice on the time to visit too.
    #FamilyFun

• November 30, 2016 / 10:46 am

It was our first time – hadn’t expected so many green spaces – it was lovely

10. November 30, 2016 / 8:57 pm

Oxford will always have a special place in my heart, we were visiting Oxford (about 100 miles from home) when my waters broke and my daughter was born two hours later at 36 weeks. So as you can imagine tonne it is special. I love it as a place it’s so historical and beautiful – I didn’t realise that’s where the goblet of fire was filmed though! Very cool. I can’t wait to take my daughter back when she’s older. Thank you for sharing this with us at #familyfun xx
    Tammymum recently posted…#FamilyFun…week 13My Profile

• December 1, 2016 / 4:02 am

What a lovely story. I can’t wait to take our baby back when she is older

11. December 1, 2016 / 3:40 pm

Not been to Oxford before. Soaked in history I can imagine. The potter thing would be a definite draw for me to go! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun
    Karen | TwoTinyHands recently posted…#FamilyFun Week 13My Profile

12. December 5, 2016 / 8:00 am

I love Oxford too and it’s special as where me and my husband went for our first date. Probably not as cultured as your visit though!! Thanks for sharing with us for #marvmondays
    Fran Back With a Bump recently posted…Marvellous December MondaysMy Profile

• December 5, 2016 / 8:05 am

I can’t believe it took us so long to visit. It is a lovely city

13. December 5, 2016 / 8:43 am

Oh I’ve never been to Oxford. I knew it would be wonderful but I had no idea just how beautiful until I saw your photos. Love the punting one and the grounds are just incredible amongst such gorgeous architecture. Maybe I should plan a visit for next September! #MarvMondays

• December 5, 2016 / 8:58 am

You won’t regret a visit. I was surprised too especially by all of the green spaces inside the colleges. So glad we finally got around to going

14. December 6, 2016 / 9:37 pm

I’d forgotten just how much Harry Potter related parts there were here, thanks for jogging my memory! We really must visit with the Twins as they love all things Potter!!
    Great tip about the cobbles and buggy situation too, thanks!
    #marvmondays 🌺

15. December 8, 2016 / 12:09 pm

I live quite close to Oxford and for some reason I have never been sight seeing there. Your photo’s look lovely 🙂 #HMcapturingmoments

• December 8, 2016 / 12:48 pm

I know what you mean I’ve done more touristy things in the three years we have left London than all the years we lived there

16. December 14, 2016 / 4:35 pm

Lovely family photos! It’s a beautiful city!

17. March 9, 2017 / 8:22 am

Oxford is a fantastic place to take kids I recently wrote a post on it myself! So much to see and all the connections with Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland are fun for adults and kids alike. It’s also a great place no matter the weather as the museums are excellent for a rainy day. We’ll be returning this year, hoping to go to the Botanic Gardens. What a lovely day you had with baby! Thanks for sharing with #FarawayFiles
    Wherejogoes recently posted…WHERE JO GOES – FEBRUARY TRAVEL ROUND UPMy Profile

18. March 9, 2017 / 9:36 am

Oxford is a lovely place isnt it? We love visiting the Natural History Museum there and whiling away a few hours at the lakeside pubs in summer. So civilised! Thanks for joining us on #farawayfiles
    Katy recently posted…Faraway Files #21My Profile

• March 9, 2017 / 9:51 am

Beautiful – can’t believe it took me so long to get there

19. March 9, 2017 / 9:58 am

Have never been to Oxford, with or without baby! I have always thought the punting looked super fun – maybe with older kids! Thanks for sharing with #FarawayFiles

• March 9, 2017 / 3:34 pm

It’s stunning – I love universities but this may be my favourite

20. March 9, 2017 / 6:10 pm

We haven’t been to Oxford in ages. Thanks for inspiring me to return with the children – they’d love it there. I went to a wedding in Christ Church College chapel – it really was rather special. Wonderful to read your family adventures on #farawayfiles
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #21My Profile

21. March 10, 2017 / 7:18 pm

Oxford is just down the road for me so I’m a frequent visitor. You’re right about timing your visit carefully – it’s busy all year round but I tend to avoid summer and Christmas visits as much as I can. My top tip is to use the Park and Ride as there’s very limited and expensive city centre parking. #Farawayfiles
    Christine recently posted…10 things to do in and around Hawes, North YorkshireMy Profile