Bandos Resort Maldives – a perfect Maldives experience for families?

Bandos Resort Maldives – a perfect Maldives experience for families?

When the Maldives springs to mind you can’t help but think honeymooners. Therefore when we were looking to book a family friendly Maldives trip we knew we needed to find the perfect family friendly accommodation. We decided to try Bandos island Maldives Resort because it looked like a family friendly Maldives experience but did it meet our expectations?

Is Bandos Resort Maldives Family Friendly?

We booked Bandos as we thought compared to other resorts it would be more family friendly! We weren’t disappointed. There is an active kids club which when travelling with six kids we were sure to test out. They had a good range of activities for a range of ages. Looking at the kids we were with I think 5-10 is probably the age that would get the most out of it. Teenagers however I think would enjoy excursions onto the reef! There were facilities for the under twos but this either had to be supervised by parents or paid for babysitting. We didn’t use this but it is nice to know facilities are there if required.

We were worried that we might be the only family surrounded by lovey dovey couples which couldn’t be further from the truth! Whether it was because we were travelling at Easter I don’t know but I would say 90% of the guests were families or large family groups. Because of this we all felt very comfortable and relaxed very quickly!  In fact it was one of the best toddler friendly vacations I have ever seen.

Should you go all inclusive at Bandos Resort Maldives?

One of the biggest considerations for any family travelling to the Maldives is if you want to visit an all inclusive Maldives resort. We opted for the all inclusive package and to be honest didn’t have high hopes based on some tripadvisor comments.  We were, however pleasantly surprised with the food on offer. The kids corner had some staples that all children would love. A favourite with our group had to be the breakfast pancakes. Children could request for pancakes to be made into any marine animal shape! For the adults, I would definitely recommend the curries. The biggest surprise for us  had to be the drinks package. We thought that the drinks package would be restrictive but each bar had its own cocktail menu. Each menu was quite varied and the house wines were very drinkable. I had almost expected some bars to be off limits but the beautiful Huvan which sits over the sea  was perfect for sundowners was even included in the inclusive package!

Location, Location, Location! Where is Bandos Resort Maldives located?

One of the reasons we booked Bandos was because of its proximity to Male given the number of children we were travelling with however we obviously had concerns about airplane noise which would ruin the tranquility of the break. Luckily our concerns were unfounded, the resort is cleverly laid out so the accommodations face the other direction which means we never heard a plane.

When booking somewhere like Bandos you hope for really well prepared family rooms. In this respect Bandos did not disappoint. The room was highly practical and the room was ready on our arrival early in the morning with cot already prepared which is always highly appreciated. The bathroom was perhaps the only disappointment and a little more utilitarian than luxurious. The standard room we had only had a shower as well which is something that families may want to consider especially as you will be using it a lot after a day in the ocean.

Bandos Accomodation

Bandos Accomodation

If I had to find fault with the resort it might be that it was not the traditional Maldives experience in the way of over water villas and remote long beaches. In fairness, Bandos never claims to be this and it actually does a fantastic job of making the beaches it has feel remote. Rather than long stretches of beach it has isolated areas of beaches which makes it feel very secluded even when busy. I would love to return to the Maldives to try a more remote and seaplane experience but I think overall that Bandos Maldives is the perfect resort for young families visiting The Maldives.

Is Bandos Island Resort a family friendly Maldives experience?

Overall we felt The Maldives was a top family travel destination and Bandos Resort The Maldives was a perfect all-inclusive resort for all the family!

Things to consider when travelling as a family to the Maldives:

• Whether or not you want all inclusive
  • That the transfers are by boat but there is no private lounge – we only waited for 15 minutes however for our transfer. Our little one was dressed in a  sleep suit which was a little hot and there was not a obvious place to change her. There is only a toilet before you pass immigration  rather than in the luggage area.
  • Whether the lack of over the sea villa would be a detriment to your vacation. If this is a big part of why you want to visit the Maldives it might be worth waiting to children are a little older before you visit the Maldives

Have you ever visited Bandos Resort – what did you think?

1. April 25, 2017 / 6:03 am

Sounds amazing … take me there!

2. May 4, 2017 / 1:50 pm

oh gosh I can just see my kids pestering the staff for dolphin and shark pancakes all morning! I dream of the Maldives! #FarawayFiles
    Katy recently posted…Faraway Files #25My Profile

3. May 4, 2017 / 7:32 pm

Aah, the Maldives! I’d so love to go back and I know my children would adore the luxury and beach life you can get there. Those breakfast pancakes are a brilliant idea for families – my two always love a pancake for breakfast. This looks like an excellent choice. Great review for #FarawayFiles
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #27My Profile

4. May 5, 2017 / 12:22 am

That water! So crystal clear and aqua-coloured! Every time I go on a travel blog trawl, I realise how much of the world I’m yet to see. And how beautiful it is! Thanks for sharing. #FarawayFiles
    Kat recently posted…Getting a social security number (SSN)My Profile

5. May 10, 2017 / 4:29 pm

Great review and good tips for choosing a good Maldives family holiday. Fodder for planning our Maldives trip! #farawayfiles

6. May 10, 2017 / 11:35 pm

Oooh – I want to see if the Maldives is family friendly too! Thanks for the test drive and review for #FarawayFiles. Looks amazing!

7. RIRI
    May 11, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Hi, i stumble on your page while researching for bandos. Your page give me lots information, thanks. My husband, my 22 mo son and me gonna stay at bandos this summer. And wondering if we should bring a beach tent. Since we are not sure if there will be lot of shade or beach umbrella or something like that in bandos.

• May 12, 2017 / 7:59 pm

I would say yes it would be useful as there is limited shade. I would also recommend a good uv sun hat. Any other questions just ask

8. November 7, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing! We are heading to Banyan Tree Angsana Vekavaru first and we are sooo looking forward! Will keep you posted on the remote islands feel and seaplane transfers with our 2 cheeky monkeys under 4 😉

9. November 8, 2017 / 4:54 pm

Great article and review, thanks for sharing! We are very lucky to go back to Makdives this time with the kiddies in December including for a collaboration with Banyan Tree Angsana Velavaru. Very excited and hoping we will manage to see again dolphins and whilst kids enjoy the kidsclub, parents will be diving 😉

10. November 16, 2017 / 9:32 pm

Wow how beautiful! I would never have thought the Maldives was a family destination, I guess I always associated it with romantic breaks away! It looks beautiful!
    five little doves recently posted…My Pet Story: Charlie ChopsMy Profile

11. November 17, 2017 / 9:12 am

Ahhh, my friend is about to go on a family honeymoon to the Malvives! SO JEALOUS. It looks absolutely amazing. We’ll have to save up our pennies to go – great advice, one to bookmark for the future.
    Holly – Little Pickle’s Mom recently posted…Gifts for £5 with Sports DirectMy Profile

12. November 18, 2017 / 9:11 pm

That looks amazing – would love to go.

13. November 20, 2017 / 8:36 pm

This sounds amazing! We said we would go to the Maldives for our 10yr wedding anniversary…..not possible on our own with 3 kids……or I thought! Off to check this out
    Stephanie recently posted…Our weekend in pictures – Week 39My Profile

14. November 20, 2017 / 9:43 pm

This sounds and looks absolutely amazing!!! I would love to take the kids there one day……

15. November 23, 2017 / 7:29 am

Somehow when I think of the Maldives I just think ‘future honeymoon destination’. Never thought it would be perfect for families but then again it would be if its all about relaxing etc right? It looks amazing
    Anosa recently posted…Europe in Autumn: 7 Best Places to VisitMy Profile