Maldives with a baby – our 5 top tips and recommendations

Maldives with a baby – our 5 top tips and recommendations

The Maldives is thought of as the ultimate honeymoon destination! So that being said it’s not the first place you think Of as a family friendly let alone baby friendly destination. But yet we decided as it’s only a four hour flight away from Doha that it would be a perfect short getaway so here are our top tips and recommendations for doing the Maldives with a baby!

Maldives with a baby

Choose your resort wisely

I think this is fair to say for any holiday as accommodation is key but isnperhaps amplified on a small island. Consider if there is a kids club – even if like us you have no intention in using it. Presence of a kids club is a good indictator that children are welcomed!

Speed boat or sea plane?

How does your child travel – would they be better in a boat or in a plane. Boat transfers probably indicate that the resort is closer to Male which you may want the security of when travelling with little ones!

Consider medical cover

No one wants to have plan for illness on a holiday but it happens especially with kids. Consider how far away medical facilities are? Are they on your island?

All inclusive?

Everybody knows that The Maldives can be expensive so consider going all inclusive. It means little ones will have plenty of water to drink.

Types of residence

Though an overwater villa sounds idyllic when you have little ones running around may not be the most practical – consider what types of rooms are available for instance beach view to make for a more relaxed trip for parents!

Overall we thought that the Maldives with a baby is a brilliant vacation idea. We are so glad that we didn’t think it was off limits for anyone but honeymooners and couples.

Have you been to the Maldives with little ones? What are your top tips?

Top tips and recommendations for going to the Maldives with a baby

Top tips and recommendations for going to the Maldives with a baby

• April 17, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Thanks – stayed tuned this week for more
      Maldives tips for families

• April 18, 2017 / 9:38 am

Then you might want to pop back later this week for the review of the island we stayed on and its suitability for families

1. April 18, 2017 / 10:44 am

We’ve missed the baby years now but looking back, that would actually have been so perfect for a family holiday – beach, sun, pools, family-friendly vibe (if you choose your resort carefully, as you say!). Even though my daughter is four, it’s still very very tempting… Perhaps I should wait until she can swim and then get one of the overwater villas? Hmmm *plot* #familytraveltips
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #72My Profile

• April 18, 2017 / 11:06 am

It was a perfect holiday with bambino but we were traveling with five other kids who it was equally good for! I’ll be reviewing our island for family friendliness later this week so check back then 😃

2. April 18, 2017 / 11:06 am

What a fantastic, relaxing place to take a baby. I have only been (albeit briefly) for work but would love to return with two tots. The food, the beaches…Many resorts are very much the honeymoon type so yes, I agree a bit of research is needed first #familytraveltips

• April 18, 2017 / 11:07 am

With a bit of research I think it’s a great choice for families

3. April 18, 2017 / 2:24 pm

This looks absolutely beautiful and I would consider taking my three in a heartbeat. I have never looked into what facilities the accom/hotels have for little ones. looks wonderful though x #Familytraveltips

• April 18, 2017 / 4:17 pm

Yes I had never really thought about family friendly options until re entry

4. April 18, 2017 / 4:27 pm

I love the idea of looking into kids clubs as in indication of kid-friendliness of a resort! #familytraveltips

• April 18, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Thank you – it probably works better in some areas than others but it was the only think we could think of in the Maldives that would be a good indicator

5. April 19, 2017 / 7:54 am

I wouldn’t have considered going to the Maldives with my boys, but interesting to know that they can be kid friendly too. Great tips! 🙂 x

• April 19, 2017 / 10:19 am

Yes we wouldn’t have thought of it except for it being really close to qatar so started looking into more

6. April 19, 2017 / 11:36 am

These are great tips, what a beautiful destination – definitely not somewhere I would have thought of going with kids. It’s a good idea to look at whether they have a kids club on resorts as you don’t want to end up being the only people with kids there! #FamilyFun

• April 19, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Yes that was one of my fears being surrounded by honeymooners

7. April 19, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Wow, I have always thought of the Maldives as a place for just me Hubby to go one day (kid free)… now you have got me thinking about taking the kids and bumping it up the bucket list! #familytraveltips

• April 19, 2017 / 4:53 pm

They would be different experiences so why not (besides the cost) do both 😉

8. April 20, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Great tips…we arent ones for beach and sun holidays but it does look nice! #familytraveltips

• April 20, 2017 / 8:41 pm

We aren’t usually but thought why not since we are so close – really glad we did.

9. April 20, 2017 / 9:15 pm

Oo interesting, I wouldn’t have thought to go here on a holiday. I quite fancy a beach and sun right now. I’ll have to have good dreams tonight!! Lol ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬
    Karen | TwoTinyHands recently posted…How to Improve and Promote your BlogMy Profile

10. April 22, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Ah we went on our honeymoon! And I sooooo want to go back but my husband won’t agree so I will show him this! I would always go for a kid friendly one. It’s just the flight from the UK I’d worry about! #FamilyFun

• April 23, 2017 / 5:09 am

I think flights are always the main concern! Qatar is much closer than the Uk! We have done several long hauls with our little one and think overnight is by far the easiest option! Hope you get your husband to agree 😃

11. April 23, 2017 / 9:54 am

Brilliant tips, especially about going all inclusive so there is always water on hand, that’s something to consider for any destination. I’d certainly consider the Maldives with my girls having read this. Thanks so much for joining in with #FamilyTravelTips
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Bullying labelled as feminism is still bullyingMy Profile

• April 23, 2017 / 10:24 am

Thanks yes gone are the days when I thought about all inclusive for the alcohol lol

12. April 23, 2017 / 11:04 pm

Great tips! Good point about the kids club and definitely go all inclusive in the Maldives! We loved the kuramathi, which we went to with our daughter when she was 3. Looks like the island you stayed on was beautiful too #familytraveltips

• April 24, 2017 / 6:40 am

I’ll have to check out that resort- we would love to return

13. April 24, 2017 / 7:32 am

Wow what an amazing holidays and some fab tips here too , thank you for sharing #marvmondays

14. April 24, 2017 / 9:29 am

I loved the Maldives and would give anything to go back! Good to see it is possible with a little one in tow xx #marvmondays

15. April 24, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Love the Maldives and it makes so much sense for you to visit as you’re so close. We went as a couple and I agree water villa is definitely not child-friendly! We’re looking forward to going back in a few years when the children are a bit older and can enjoy more of the snorkelling and marine life…although your post has given me food for thought. #mondayescapes
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…Top Literary Destinations For Families In EnglandMy Profile

• April 24, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Thank you – we’d never been before. Will def go back when E is older so there is less tag team snorkelling. One day I would also like to try a water villa

16. April 24, 2017 / 6:18 pm

Oh, that sky, that water! I’m longing desperately for some sunshine on my poor pasty skin!

17. April 24, 2017 / 8:27 pm

We have our first family holiday booked for September. We’re not going anyway as exotic as the Maldives but I can’t wait to get away. Looks like you had a fantastic time and the sea looks amazing! #MarvMondays
    Becky – MommyandRory recently posted…Buying a Home – Will we Ever be Homeowners?My Profile

• April 25, 2017 / 4:42 am

The Maldives is much closer from qatar but i don’t think it matters where you go the important thing is to spend time as a family! Hope to read about your September holiday in due course

18. April 24, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Oh this brings back so many memories…but of just us on honeymoon. I’d love to go back with our boys and your tips are all spot on. We’ve used our medical insurance a couple of time now for our kids and it’s the best thing ever!
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…A walk round beautiful EdinburghMy Profile

19. April 24, 2017 / 10:01 pm

Looks beautiful. Never ever thought about visiting there to be honest. My partner and I really want to take the kids on holiday and all inclusive too. #MarvMondays
    Beth Owen recently posted…Appreciating LifeMy Profile

20. April 24, 2017 / 10:01 pm

I so want to go to the Maldives! Look at that sea! #mondayescapes

21. April 24, 2017 / 10:46 pm

It looks absolutely wonderful I would love to go there with my kids and watch them swimming in the sea and finding fish! Thanks for linking up to #MondayEscapes.
    Mini Travellers recently posted…Monday EscapesMy Profile

• April 25, 2017 / 6:14 am

I would love to take the baby back when she is a bit older so she can appreciate the marine life more

22. April 25, 2017 / 9:02 pm

#marvmondays I have been but pre little dude and we are thinking of returning now he is 4yrs because – its same, spacious and there isn’t much to do and everything is in walking distance. I agree, a fab break for little ones.

23. April 28, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your tips with us on visiting the Maldives with a baby. I can see some could equally apply to other destinations. #MondayEscapes

• April 30, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Travel insurance is so important. We had to cancel a trip before Christmas because of illness

24. April 30, 2017 / 12:48 pm

You’re right I would never presume it be a place for families, so many of my friends have honeymooned there. Great to have you join in with #MyFamilyAdventures – I’d be grateful if you could add my badge so people know where you are linking up to. Thanks so much

25. May 1, 2017 / 7:59 am

Seems like you had a wonderful time and the photos are wonderful! Thanks for sharing. #fearlessfamtrav

26. May 1, 2017 / 1:02 pm

That water looks heavenly!
    #fearless-famtrav

27. May 1, 2017 / 4:26 pm

The Maldives are a bit far from the U.S. for a beach getaway but they always look amazing and very relaxing with kids of any age.

• May 1, 2017 / 5:17 pm

They are the go to place for British honeymooners! Guess you have the Caribbean

28. May 1, 2017 / 8:47 pm

This looks brilliant! And great tips. I think these apply to all foreign destinations, although traveling with a baby that doesn’t crawl yet makes finding an apartment or hotel easier 🙂 #fearlessfamtrav

29. May 2, 2017 / 2:14 pm

Like others who have commented, I wouldn’t have considered this as a baby destination, but i makes sense! I am looking forward to your recommendations for families, especially activities that are not resort based. #fearlessfamtrav

• May 2, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Thanks Ariana, we hadn’t considered it until we realised how close it was to Doha! I’m afraid that this was mainly a resort based holiday for us as we only had four nights. We however did enjoy going fishing and snorkelling

30. May 2, 2017 / 3:19 pm

awesome tips! Only four hours away, go for it! I personally think anywhere can be family friendly if you do your HW and know what the expectations are. I guess although maybe not a legit ADULTS ONLY resort. found you through the link up

#fearlessfamtrav
    Harmony, Momma To Go recently posted…Stuff I Love: April 2017My Profile

• May 2, 2017 / 4:33 pm

You travel well considering no planes. It would be a slow boat to the Maldives

31. May 2, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Clear seas, sandy beaches, a wonderful hotel and no crowds. Perfect holiday with a baby! I’d love to visit the Maldives as I really love snorkelling – you’ve got the right idea doing it whilst baby is young enough not to cost you a fortune! #Fearlessfamtrav
    Wherejogoes recently posted…10 REASONS TO RETURN TO DREAMS TULUM HOTEL, MEXICOMy Profile

• May 3, 2017 / 5:08 am

The Maldives is very expensive! It is perfect for Baby though and as you say cheaper now than when she’s older

32. May 3, 2017 / 6:18 pm

If the Maldives were only 4 hours from me I’d be there all the time!! Lucky you. Very good tips for taking kids too, and a good point that if it has a kids club it’s obviously used to having kids, I’d not looked at it from that point of view before. #fearlessfamtrav
    alex – My recently posted…Son of Steak, NottinghamMy Profile

• May 3, 2017 / 6:19 pm

We are very lucky that many places are now on our doorstep

33. May 3, 2017 / 7:29 pm

It’s so beautiful, would love to take the kids. I have to admit I hadn’t really considered it for a family holiday but it sounds perfect! #fearlessfamtrav

34. May 3, 2017 / 7:55 pm

That’s amazing the Maldives are so close to you! We actually had a conversation recently about going there one day as they sound so lovely and so thanks for some great tips – I’d never given much thought to Kid’s Clubs as I’m not sure we would use them much but actually you’re right it shows a place is super kid friendly & has a plentiful supply of food and drink 🙂 #fearlessfamtrav

• May 4, 2017 / 5:11 am

You would absolutely love the Maldives! I personally haven’t used kids clubs but their presence is reassuring

35. May 3, 2017 / 8:52 pm

The Maldives is a great destination to visit with a baby: I’d definitely appreciate the pampering and great food more post-kids! You’re right though, some resorts would defo not be ideal with a baby in tow!

36. May 4, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Yes! I’ve not been to the Maldives before, but Bora Bora in Tahiti is marketed as a similar location, and I would SO go back there with the family. Good on you for taking your baby to the Maldives. Life doesn’t stop when you have children, and taking a baby along would just make the experience more memorable. What a perfect place to relax and have some quality time together.

• May 5, 2017 / 5:02 am

I completely agree! We are going to bora so glad you have good memories

37. May 4, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Oh would love to visit the Maldives – my partner has been but I’ve not – YET! These are some fantastic tips especially about considering the medical facilities – wouldn’t of thought of that

#fearlessfamtrav

Laura x
    Laura recently posted…The Gratitude ListMy Profile

38. May 5, 2017 / 6:53 pm

These are great tips! Now that my girls are older I think an over the sea villa is fine but totally understand why you chose to stay where you did. On.My.List!! (ps – I missed the linky..will try to do next month..I’m not always good at remembering the monthlies).
    Corey with fifi + hop recently posted…New Orleans: the Draw of the French QuarterMy Profile

39. May 6, 2017 / 4:01 pm

We went to the Maldives well before having kids and loved it! It’s fantastic that you were able to take advantage of being close and that you found it to be baby-friendly! #fearlessfamtrav

40. May 24, 2017 / 2:40 pm

I’ve never considered it to be honest. It looks beautiful #MyFamilyAdventures