Ticking off our family travel bucket list in 2018

Ticking off our family travel bucket list in 2018

How long is your family travel bucket list? Ours only ever seems to get longer but 2018 is going to be the year of ticking things off our family travel bucket list as 2018 is the year of our family round the world trip! We are going to be seeing wonders of the world, some of the worlds best beaches and most photographed landmarks. Our first stop is Beijing! China has been somewhere we have always wanted to go to and the number one thing we can’t wait to see is visit the Great Wall of China. But also on our list is to see the Forbidden City and try some world famous Peking Duck.

Next on the agenda is Hong Kong! While I am looking forward to having some dim sum, seeing the famous big Buddha, the red sailed dhows and of course the little one will be overjoyed at getting to visit her third Disney park! Before having the little one Disney had never been somewhere on my list. But now traveling with our little one I understand why it is called the most magical place on Earth!

Indonesia is our next stop where I plan to sit and enjoy the beautiful beaches. We loved our family trip to the Maldives last year so I can’t wait to take our little one to the beautiful beaches of Bali!

From Bali we are heading to Australia! Only I have been to Australia before where I spent a guilt ridden week business trip to Melbourne! It is a fab city that I really fell in love with especially the contemporary dining scene and the beautiful art and coffee ways of the city.

Family Travel Bucket List item – Melbourne

Family Travel Bucket List item – Melbourne

We then head off on an epic cruise across New Zealand and the South Pacific. The South Pacific is somewhere I have always wanted to go to but the idea of three connecting flights and god knows what jet lag has always put me off. But the idea of cruising around and getting to see a different island almost every day is something I am very excited for. As long time readers of this blog will know we love a cruise and have loads of tips for other families wanting to try this type of holiday from choosing baby friendly itineraries to the best cruise cabins for families.

Our final destination on our cruise is the US. While I have travelled lots with Wandermust Daddy to the US, we have never been as a family and I am most excited about our road trip around California before flying to some of the cultural capitals of the US in Chicago, New York and Washington DC.

Family Travel Bucket List Item – Washington DC

Our final stop on our bucket list trip is Iceland which has literally held the #1 spot on my list for about a decade! I can’t wait to tour the Golden Circle and hopefully, fingers crossed and touching wood get to see the Northern Lights.

But that only take us to the end of March! So what will the rest of 2018 hold for us travel wise? Maybe we will try more of Europe, which is missing from our round the world trip! My favourite place is Italy – since we got married nine long years ago, 2017 was the first year we hadn’t made an annual pilgrimage to Italy! 2018 we must rectify this! And I can never resist the siren call of the Middle East luxury hotels! But where else should we go?

What places will you be ticking off your bucket list in 2018? If you are looking for some family travel inspiration why not take a look at Destination2 which is packed full of amazing bucket list travel inspiration for 2018!

#citytripping

Written in collaboration with Destination2

1. December 20, 2017 / 12:13 pm

Oh wow what an amazing few months you’re going to have – I think that would keep me going all year! (Although if I could get away with more…) I’ve still yet to go to Australia, and would love to go back to the South Pacific and to China with my daughter.

Will keep keeping my (very green) eyes peeled to see what you get up to.
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping Christmas breakMy Profile

2. December 20, 2017 / 3:12 pm

OMG you will have an amazing time in Iceland. It’s my favourite place in the whole wide world at the moment. I went twice this year. It’s expensive though so save up! We are off to New York State and hopefully Niagra falls next year, maybe Orlando and in January Disneyland Paris.

3. December 20, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Wow what exciting travel plans you have, and such gorgeous destinations as well, I bet you are so excited

4. December 20, 2017 / 8:36 pm

That is quite the itinerary, with some amazing places! How exciting for you all. We looked at doing some of China for during our trip around South East Asia, but decided to do it as a seperate trip because of the cost of visas. Iceland to see the Northern Lights will be incredible!

5. December 20, 2017 / 9:21 pm

Looks like a lovely travel bucket list. I’ve managed to visit some on your list, but have never been to Australia and New Zealand. Would love to go, but sadly, the only time we can travel is during the school holidays and it can be very expensive. Hopefully, we’ll manage to tick off our list too 🙂

6. December 21, 2017 / 2:03 pm

That sounds a pretty fun list! There are so many places I would love to visit, my list keeps getting bigger and bigger!

7. December 21, 2017 / 5:09 pm

Amazing itinerary and great to hear about your family round the world trip! Beijing for us was too polluted to enjoy properly but we loved the outside and the Great Wall. Bali we love, especially west, east and around Ubud – Seminyak. Melbourne and Australia also our favourites, if you have time the Great Ocean road and Kangaroo island are amazing treats. Will keep an eye on your adventures & impressions ! X

8. December 22, 2017 / 8:03 am

Wow, you are certainly packing it in. I would love to visit the South Pacific, but like you, Iceland has been top of my bucket list for what seems like forever
    Kara recently posted…Day 3 – Our Final Day at Santa’s LaplandMy Profile

9. December 22, 2017 / 7:01 pm

I am so jealous of your upcoming world adventures but I bet it will be totally awesome, I would love to do that one day.
    Anosa recently posted…A film lovers’ guide to LondonMy Profile

10. December 23, 2017 / 12:02 am

Your trip sounds absolutely amazing and I am so excited to follow along on your journey. We don’t have anything planned for 2018 yet (sob!) but I’m hoping to visit Germany, Slovenia, Jordan, another European market next Christmas and possibly an exotic beach for my birthday in January. I’m sure you can squeeze in lots more places for the rest of the year!

11. December 24, 2017 / 7:41 am

2018 sounds like it’s going to be an amazing year for you! We have a travel list, but at first our year is going to be dominated by buying a house somewhere we actually want to live whilst we are in the UK… 😀

12. December 27, 2017 / 9:34 am

Wow! What an amazing itinerary you have planned for some really interesting destinations. I am sure your family around the world trip is going to be super fun. Enjoy!

13. December 29, 2017 / 10:47 am

This sounds like an amazing travel plan. I’m not sure where we will be going next year as yet but would love to go to the Caribbean x
    Cathy Glynn recently posted…5 Ways To Improve Your HomeMy Profile

14. January 1, 2018 / 6:31 pm

Amazing!! Sounds like a fabulous few months of travel ahead! x

15. January 2, 2018 / 2:23 pm

This looks like a great start to 2018 I would love to go to Hong Kong (and Macau) and Austalia we have our eyes on for my husbands next sabbatical. We did our HM in Tahiti, you will LOVE it!

16. January 2, 2018 / 5:10 pm

Ahh a family round the world trip?! This sounds incredible. Have a great 2018, I hope it is everything you planned and so much more!

17. January 4, 2018 / 9:51 am

Oh want an incredible trip! Lots of places which I love!

18. Katy
    January 4, 2018 / 10:30 am

2018 looks like a world of epic adventures! Looking forward to hearing all about them on #FarawayFiles this year

19. January 4, 2018 / 11:20 am

Wow, your trip sounds amazing. I hope you have a fabulous time – I look forward to reading all about it #FarawayFiles

20. January 5, 2018 / 12:49 am

Whoa! This sounds like an epic trip! You’ll be visiting many of my wish list places, so I’ll be anxious to read all about your adventures on #FarawayFiles
    Hilary recently posted…Happy New Year!My Profile

21. January 5, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Oh lucky, lucky you! You’ve got so many fascinating places to explore just in the first few months of the year. What a wonderful way to start 2018! #FarawayFiles

• January 6, 2018 / 11:28 pm

Yes please Emma – any foodie recommends esp for Auckland and wellington

22. January 6, 2018 / 10:57 pm

Oh wow, you’ve got some amazing few months planned! China sounds so much fun and tbh so does Aus and NZ too! We visited Australia 10 years ago just after I finished school and I loved it SO much, so I’m dying to go back as an adult and experience it myself!
    You’ll love Iceland! It’s absolutely amazing! We visited in March a few years back and it was so so amazing!
    xo April | April Everyday

23. January 9, 2018 / 9:09 am

Wow what a year you’re going to have! I still haven’t decided where we’re going to tick from our list this year – I have a feeling it may be Cornwall. Not as far flung as some of your destinations but somewhere I really want to take my own children before the grow up!

• January 9, 2018 / 10:01 am

I’ve never been to Cornwall but it is on my bucket list especially as my bestie is moving there

24. January 9, 2018 / 11:59 am

We have a short haul and long haul bucket list and I think my folks are waiting until I’m a bit older to do the more exotic places so I can remember them. What a great list and my folks would definitely recommended Australia x #CityTripping

25. January 9, 2018 / 3:09 pm

All of that in the next three months? You are in for an exciting first part of the year. I always get excited when I hear that Chicago is on someone’s list of places they will visit. I may be a little biased but it’s an awesome city and also home to us. Although my travel bucket list is long- and getting longer by the day it seems like- my goal this year is to tick off just two: San Diego, where we’re going next month; and Ireland which is a just a big wish at the moment but we’re hoping to make it happen in April or May. #citytripping
    Allison recently posted…Best Foods of 2017My Profile

• January 10, 2018 / 12:42 am

Ireland is fab! We got married there! I def recommend. Any tips for Chicago

• January 10, 2018 / 12:43 am

Thanks nicky. Can’t wait to share our adventures with city tripping

26. January 11, 2018 / 3:10 am

Wowwwww!!! What an incredible beginning you have planned for 2018! First stop Beijing – it’ll be deathly, incredibly cold. Bundle up…and I’d recommend going to the Mutianyu section of the wall (rather than the more touristy Badaling) – Mutianyu has a luge track you can slide down to get back to ground! Super fun! We haven’t planned a single trip for the 2018, because we are just possibly, maybe planning a move from Seoul to Rome in the next year. Best to sit tight for now. 🙂 #citytripping
    Shelley recently posted…My Favourite Travel Moments in Asia (by Naia, 26 months old)My Profile

• January 11, 2018 / 3:55 am

The cold actually wasn’t too bad and we did go to mutianyu. So glad we did like you say! Seoul to time how exciting! Have you spent much time in time we have loads of stuff on Rome in the blog