Are you looking for the best double stroller for Europe travel? n this guide we tell you the important considerations for the best double stroller for travel to Europe such as size, robustness and more.
Important Note: This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click through and make a purchase I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you!
Considerations for the best Double Stroller for Europe
We are very lucky to have traveled to many places around the world with our toddler and baby and what we have found, is that despite what some people say there is no one travel stroller that works perfectly in location around the world.
When considering what the best double stroller for Europe is there are a few things that you will want to take into consideration such as
While we recommend having a robust double stroller for Europe, you really need to consider the size of a stroller especially if you are staying in a hotel with baby.
One of the things to remember when choosing your accommodation in Europe is that hotel rooms tend to be much smaller in European cities than their US counterparts.
So remember if you are traveling with lots of luggage, pack and plays and car seats for two children and have a large and not compact double stroller then you may find yourself running out of space in your hotel room pretty quickly.
For tips on picking toddler and baby friendly hotel rooms check out this post.
Also you will find in many European countries, outside of the UK especially that double strollers can be tricky on public transport.
On many European buses you will be required to fold down your stroller to get on the bus and other public transit systems, i.e. the London Underground or Metro in cities such as Amsterdam, will have inconsistent availability of lifts. This can be tricky when travel with any stroller but is especially tricky with a large double stroller.
For more information on using strollers in certain cities and countries check out our related guides:
We have said before there is no one double stroller that can work for every situation perfectly.
For instance if you are looking for the best stroller for cruise ship travel you want something that is lightweight and collapsible into a very small space. While using a stroller in Japan’s ancient cities you will want something that has big wheels and that is robust enough to manage cobbles.
Some of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations are very ancient and as such you will find that there are lots of uneven walkways and cobbled stones. Therefore while you want something that can collapse down easily, you also need to make sure that you have a double stroller that has wheels that can cope with cobbles and uneven terrains well.
Copes with multiple terrains
The other thing to remember about Europe is that your travels don’t necessarily have to be all in cities. There are some great beaches to visit in Europe with kids as well as many countryside hikes especially in locations such as Switzerland.
Therefore if your European itinerary with kids covers cities, beaches and countryside be sure to check that you have a stroller that can deal with multiple terrains.
Easy to Fold
One of the key things for a stroller in Europe is to make sure it is easy to fold down especially if you plan to use on public transportation such as the buses, Metro and trains. In many places in Europe children cannot remain in the stroller on a bus and you will need to fold it down.
Be sure to pick one that is easy to collapse and practice doing it in a low stress environment so you are prepared for being asked to do this in public.
Individually reclining seats
If you are using a double stroller you will want to make sure each seat reclines on its own. If you are traveling to Europe from the US then you may find your baby or toddler suffering from jet lag. Having a seat that reclines on its own will help a child suffering from jet lag nap on their own schedule.
That way each child can nap on their own schedule.
Has a Sun Shade
Depending on what part of Europe you are traveling to and the season you are traveling in, you may need a good sun shade. So if you are traveling to Italy with a toddler or somewhere like Greece or Spain in the summer be sure to have a large sun shade on your stroller.
Has a Rain Cover
Although we love living in Europe, and lived have many different places in Europe, the one downside is that you can get rain during any season. For this reason no matter the time of year you are travel to Europe be sure you have a good rain cover for your stroller.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL – Standing platform
Not all double strollers have a stand option. If you want to have this option be sure to check that it is offered on your stroller of choice.
For more traveling in Europe with toddlers and baby tips check out the below posts:
- Best European Countries to visit with toddlers
- London with a toddler
- London with a baby
- Rome with a baby or Toddler
- Amsterdam with a Baby or Toddler
Best Double Stroller for Europe
In this section we will round up the best double strollers against our considerations alongside their pros and cons to help you make your choice for the best double stroller for travel to Europe.
Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Double
- Forever air rubber tires with all-wheel suspension provide a comfortable stroll on any terrain
- Adjustable handlebar and hand-operated parking brake provide comfortable steering and control, all within an arm's reach.Do not use bleach, solvents or abrasive cleaning materials
- Customize your ride for 4 different modes of use with accessories like the infant car seat, pram, glider board, parent console, child tray, and more (sold separately)
- Create a travel system with most Britax, Cybex, Graco, and Maxi Cosi infant car seats (adapters for other brands' infant car seats sold separately)
- Baby Jogger's patented one-step quick-fold technology ensures easy transportation and storage
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Double stroller could be a perfect pick for Europe as it is extremely agile with great rubber tyres that would work on any type of terrain. This is perfect if you have a European itinerary that covers both cities and mountains for instance.
It also has a great weight range as it works from newborn all the way up to 22kg which means it will have a long shelf life for your family.
It is also very easy to fold which you will do a lot on European public transit.
- Locking front swivel wheel
- Pneumatic bicycle tires
- Ratcheting shade canopy for each seat
- Convenient parent tray includes two cup holders and covered storage compartment
- Large storage basket
This is a great double stroller that comes at a much reduced price tag to the above at only around c.300USD which is good value for a double stroller.
It also has a pretty decent sun shade and each seat reclines independently which is an essential for jet lag naps.
This stroller is really only an option for our US readers as this is not available in Europe currently. However it is a great choice for traveling to Europe.
It is one of the lightest double strollers for travel weighing in at only 19lb.
It has individually reclining seats but doesn’t go flat, so if this is important to you you may want to consider a different stroller on the list.
This stroller also has an amazing canopy so this is great for those traveling in Summer or going to Southern Europe.
Mountain Buggy Nano Duo
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT! Just a 20lbs double stroller to make pushing two that much easier!
- ULTRA COMPACT FOLD! No double folds smaller! Perfect for travel and quick errands around town!
- NEWBORN SOLUTIONS FOR ONE OR TWO! Compatible with the additional cocoon accessory for lightweight newborn comfort
- CAR SEAT COMPATIBLE with Mountain Buggy, phil&teds, Graco, Peg Perego, Cybex, Nuna, and Maxi Cosi (with adaptor purchase)
- EXTRA TALL SEAT WITH DEEP RECLINE! With two 26” seats, the nano duo can be used comfortably with your growing toddler and the deep recline on both seats is perfect for napping on the go
While we love this Mountain Buggy Nano Duo however it does have some drawbacks which mean it is doesn’t have the longest shelf life. The stroller seats have a relatively low weight test and the seats are also narrow compared to others on this list.
If you have older children or larger kids then this might not be the best pick for them.
KolKraft Cloud Plus
- SIDE BY SIDE LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: Travel-friendly stroller design (only 23 lbs) makes this a perfect stroller for traveling. The width fully assembled is 31 inches which allows this stroller to easily roll through most standard doorways
- LARGE SUN CANOPY: Three-tier, extended canopy for maximum sun protection and coverage. A peek-a-boo window so you can easily check on your little one while on the go
- RECLINING SEAT: Reclining seat offers 5-point safety restraint system and accommodates child to 40 pounds per seat. (80 lbs total) Seat does not recline completely flat. Seat Width - 12.5 Inch
- EXTRA STORAGE: Include one parent tray with two drink holders, removable child trays with dual cup and juice box holder. Two large and easy to access storage basket holds all baby's necessities
- EASY STANDING FOLD: Convenient self-standing fold, easily tucks away when not in use, or perfect for car travel and vacations. Folded Dimensions: 20"L x 31"W x 33.5"H
The Kolkraft Cloud Plus is the cheapest double stroller we recommend for travel to Europe and is a great option for families on a budget.
This double stroller is ultra light weight at only 23lbs and at only 31 inches wide which is great for navigating some of the very narrow doorways and streets in some of Europe’s older cities such as Rome.
It also has a large canopy which is great for sun protection if you are visiting Europe in Summer or visiting some of the more Southern countries.
However it is worth noting that while there are 5 different layers of recline this stroller doesn’t lie completely flat. Therefore if napping is a priority for your stroller this might not be the best one for you.
joovy Scooter x2
- UNIQUE, COMPACT TRI-FOLD DESIGN makes this twin stroller ideal for small cars with limited cargo space
- BIG WHEELS that give little ones a smooth ride, even when pushed one-handed
- DUAL SNACK TRAYS with built-in cup holders. And when it’s time to get out the snack trays swing open
- TWO ZIPPERED STORAGE POCKETS too keep your personal items secure and an extra-large storage basket for all the essentials
- MULTIPLE SEAT RECLINE POSITIONS and adjustable footrests so each of your little ones can customize their ride, making this a perfect toddler stroller
This mid price stroller, the Joovy Scooter X2 has some great features. For instance it has one of the best sun canopies on the market and a huge stroller basket and it has the all important independent seat adjustment.