You are heading to one of the world’s most beautiful island paradise but what do you pack for paradise? In this guide we round up what to wear in Bora Bora and provide you with a complete Bora Bora packing list to take the stress out of your pre paradise packing!
A note about packing for Bora Bora: Air Tahiti, the airline you will need to take to fly from Tahiti to Bora Bora is strict about luggage weight allowance! Do not go over your 23kg. Fortips on travelling to Tahiti check out this post.
Also although it is a Bora Bora Packing List this could similarly work as a Tahiti Packing List or Moorea Packing List for if you are visiting Moorea. And if you are still undecided which island you should visit check out our Tahiti vs Moorea vs Bora Bora guide.
Clothing for Bora Bora aka What To Wear in Bora Bora
One of the great things about Bora Bora is that it isn’t a very formal place so you don’t need to worry about what to wear in Bora Bora at night. I would say the main concern is more about what to wear during the day.
For me the key for packing for Bora Bora is to pack lightweight clothing that are loose and comfortable. I always stick to cottons and linens when I am traveling to tropical island paradises like Bora Bora. But let’s be honest, most of the time in Bora Bora all you will be wearing is Swimwear !
I would recommend packing at least 3 bathing suits, bikinis or trunks if you are a man as the is what you will be wearing 90% of the time on the island! I always like to have a couple of changes of clothes with me especially for when I am doing snorkelling.
On top of that be sure you have plenty of Beach cover ups with you! The sun is very strong in French Polynesia so you definitely want plenty of pretty beach covers with you. I would also advocate for taking a decent rash vest with you! It is easy to forget how strong the sun is if you are snorkelling and the back can get easily sunburnt.
On top of that be sure you have a range of beautiful Beach Hats
And don’t forget the quirky and beautiful Swimming Pool Inflatables to take some fun pictures with.
Activewear and Snorkeling Gear for Bora Bora
- Bora Bora has some great Yoga Classes (even if your hotel doesn’t offer them, there are plenty of classes on offer) so if you enjoy Yoga be sure to pack your Activewear!
- One of the main things to do on Bora Bora is snorkelling! Our preference is to purchase a full face mask. I find them easier to use especially if you are a novice snorkelled, have asthma and in general i just find there is less to go wrong with them.
- WATER SHOES – these are an essential when walking in lagoons and on the beach as Lion Fish are found in the waters around French Polynesia! Water shoes will protect your feet and I would advise wearing whenever you go in the water.
What Camera Equipment Should I Pack for Bora Bora
Bora Bora is a once in a lifetime bucket list destination and you are definitely going to want to take plenty of photographs to remember your Bora Bora vacation. If you are travelling to Bora Bora I think you will want a combination of traditional camera equipment but on top of that have a Go pro or similar camera for underwater photos as Bora Bora has some of the best snorkelling in the world.
Bora Bora Toiletries
Although your hotel or resort will have some toiletries on site – and let’s face it all the resorts on Bora Bora are high end so they are bound to be nice I would recommend packing your own. Be sure to pack plenty of
- sun cream – the sun is strong here! I personally opt for a factor 50 sun cream and wouldn’t advise using the lighter end of the sun cream spectrum
- aloe vera after sun – if you do get sun burnt you will be thanking me for having packed this.
- Shampoo and Conditioner for Sun Damage
- Insect Repellant – you will definitely want this for romantic outdoor dining situations.
- Medical Kit -I don’t like to be a pessimist but I would always rather travel prepared! With snorkelling, being close to coral and just general holiday fun you will be glad t have a small medical kit with you.
Other Things not to Forget When Packing for Bora Bora
Bora Bora Packing List for Families
And if you are travelling to Bora Bora with kids, all of the above is applicable! But on top of that I would recommend taking the baby or toddler essentials as the store in Vaitape had a limited amount for supplies for those travelling to Bora Bora with Baby or Toddler! I would recommend packing anything you require for bay and toddler specifically to ensure you aren’t paying over the odds or struggling to find something. This includes (but isn’t limited to)
What to wear in Bora Bora at night?
One of the most frequently asked questions I get about our Bora Bora packing list is about what to wear in Bora Bora at night. The great thing about Bora Bora at night dress code is that you don’t need to worry about being overly formal as casual is king in Bora Bora.
What to wear in Bora Bora at night for men?
Long trousers (better against bugs) and some nice loose shirts
What to Wear in Bora Bora at night for women?
My favourite thing to wear in Bora Bora at night for women isHave you been to Bora Bora? What did you wear in Bora Bora? I’d love to know what you think of our Bora Bora packing list and if there is something else you would add!