If there is one thing that should be on any Dubai Bucket List it is the awe-inspiring Burj Khalifa! The tallest building in the world should be on your itinerary whether you have one day in Dubai or a week! and for me is one of the main reasons to visit Dubai over Abu Dhabi, or other parts of the UAE! But what is the best way for visiting this magnificent structure? In this guides we round up our top tips for visiting Burj Khalifa, Dubai including how to get there, what tickets you should buy and much much more!
10 Fun Facts About the Burj Khalifa
- The Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world standing at 828 metres! That’s three times as tall as the Eiffel Tower!
- It is the building with the most floors in the world with a whooping 163 floors
- It is also home to the world’s highest restaurant from ground level! At.mosphere is located on the 122 floor of the building
- The Burj Khalifa has the world’s longest running elevator! It travels 504 meters at a speed of 10 metres per second!
- It has the highest observation deck with its being located on floor 124
- And has the highest outdoor observation deck on floor 148!
- As well as the highest restaurant from ground level the Burj Khalifa also has the highest nightclub which is located on floor 144!
- The Burj only took 6 years to bud from its excavation in 2004 until its official opening in 2010!
- The Burj cost 1.5 billion usd to build
- You can see the tip of the Burj from 95km away!
How to Get to the Burj Khalifa
The Burj Khalifa is really easy to reach no matter what method of transport you are using in Dubai
If you are travelling to the Burj Khalifa by car I would recommend parking in the Dubai Mall car park! There is ample parking and you shouldn’t struggle to get a space!
If you are taking the Dubai MTR (aka the DuBai Metro) it is really easy to get to the Burj! You take the red line to the Burj Khalifa stop!
If you decide to go via taxi, just ask the driver to take you to the Burj! The taxi will usually drop you off at the Fashion Avenue entrance to the mall and from there the entrance to the Burj is a short walk away!
All of these methods are equally easy to use!
What is the Best Time to Visit the Burj Khalifa?
There is no wrong time to visit the Burj in my opinion! One of the most popular times is however sundown. Please note however that this is a peak time for tickets!
One of the benefits at going for sun down is that you can see the view from both day and night which are equally impressive!
As far as sunsets go however, I wouldn’t rank Dubai’s as one of the greatest int he world as there is often a sandy haze in the sky! However, don’t let this put you going off at sunset just for me the real reason to go at this time is see the city at both day and night rather than for the sunset itself!
How Long Can You Spend at Burj Khalifa?
I would say the amount of time you will want to spend at the Burj Khalifa really depends on you!
Some of the main factors I would say that will affect your time on the Burj are:
- Time of day – I would say if you are going for sunset you are likely to spend longer there to see the sights at both day and night
- Weather – if you are there in the summer or on a particularly windy day you will not want to spend too much time on the outdoor observation deck. But don’t worry there is an indoor observation deck that makes this a good indoor thing to do in Dubai in Summer.
- Itinerary – depending on what else you plan to do that day will depend on how long you linger here
I would say on average people will spend an hour at the top of the Burj!
For information on where to stay in Dubai with a family near the Burj Khalifa check out this post!
What Ticket Should I buy for the Burj Khalifa?
Anyone who has looked at booking the Dubai Burj Khalifa tickets will tell you that it is a confusing endeavour!
Basically there are two observation decks at the Burj Khalifa – one at the 124th floor and one at the 144th floor. You can get tickets for either the lower level observation deck or for both! Obviously only going to the lower level deck is the cheaper experience but I think if possible you should try and do both!
We recommend buying tickets in advance. The options for tickets are:
The ticket price will also vary depending on whether you are travelling up at peak time (afternoon – sunset is one of the most pricey times to visit)!
It is worth noting that while your ticket is timed for entry, you are not restricted on how much time you can spend at the top!
Other ways of reaching the top of the Burj include:
- Enjoying Afternoon Tea at At.mosphere – the world’s highest restaurant!
- Lunch or Dinner at Level 124
There are also a variety of combo ticket options such as with city tours and aquarium visits!
Next read: best instagram captions for afternoon tea
Tips for Visiting Burj Khalifa Dubai
- Always book your ticket online in advance! It can get very busy at the Burj and can sell out! We recommend booking tickets via Viator!
- Always arrive earlier than your ticketed time slot – at least 30 minutes.
- Decide on the budget you have for tickets! If you have limited budget for tickets consider only doing the lower level or taking tickets to both observation decks at off-peak time!
- Wear comfortable shoes as there isn’t seating at the top
- Be sure to dress appropriately and stick to the Dubai dress code even when visiting tourist attractions such at the Burj!
- I would advise adding the Burj to your Dubai itinerary and spending the whole day in the downtown area!
Next read: best instagram captions for Dubai
Best Things to Do Near Burj Khalifa
If you are visiting the Burj Khalifa, I would advise spending your whole day in the downtown Dubai area. The best things to do near the Burj Khalifa include:
- Dubai Aquarium – one of the best things to do in Dubai with toddlers and kids in my opinion! Again, I would book tickets online in advance!
- Shop at the Dubai Mall – this is great even if you are travelling to Dubai with toddlers or perfect for doing some shopping on a Dubai babymoon.
- Watch the Dubai Mall Fountain Show!
- Visit Souq Al Bahar
For more things to do at Dubai Mall click here.
Have you ever visited the Burj Khalifa? What are your top tips for visiting the Burj Khalifa?
Further UAE Reading