Flying and Morning Sickness: A Survival Guide

I never had that lovely pregnancy glow – just the morning sickness sweats! There wasn’t a toilet within a ten mile radius that I hadn’t stuck my head down. You see I was one of those unfortunate people that suffered morning sickness until my third trimester. I had a brief period of restate before it had an encore. On top of that, my morning sickness was more a morning, noon and night sickness having more oral expulsions than Krakatoa! For me, not travelling during pregnancy was a no no. I have to travel regularly for work and if I was doing that I was sure going to travel for pleasure! This meant I was going to have to learn to deal with flying and morning sickness.

I’m not saying you should travel while suffering from morning sickness and a doctor should always be consulted. But if like me you have no choice but to travel while morning sick here are my top tips for surviving  flying and morning sickness. I do mean surviving because when flying with morning sickness, this is the best outcome you can hope for:

Tips for surviving flying and morning sickness

1. Fly Business or First

If at all possible fly business or first. I did both of these while pregnant and these journeys were far more pleasurable than when I was back in economy. But let’s face it – this is an option many of us can’t afford when travelling on our own dime.

2. Check out the seat configuration of the plane and choose your seat wisely.

There is an art form to picking the perfect seat while suffering from morning sickness. An aisle seat is a must! It’s better anyway to help prevent deep vein thrombosis. It will help for all those joyous trips to the bathroom that pregnancy gives you. If for some reason you can’t get one, it’s always worth asking fellow passengers. In my experience, no one wants to be vomited on!

You definitely want to be close to the toilets in case your body gives you a five second warning about impending vom! But if bad toilet smells – yep we’ve all been on that flight – or toilet chemicals are your trigger then maybe give yourself a couple of rows leeway. Fortunately for me, neither of these were my triggers.

I always opted for an aisle row seat just in front of the bathroom next to the galley. It is always worth checking these seats, as on many planes these are in a two person configuration, which means if you have a midair-seatbelt-sign-on incident, only your partner is going to have to suffer watching you hurl in a little paper bag

3. Hoard the barf bags!

Thankfully present on all flights, these little bags will become your best friend. It is always worth having more than one with you, just in case.

Now the biggest tip I have, which was given to me by an ex-stewardess friend, is always carry a good supply of ziploc bags. These are great for times when you have no sick bags . But they are also great for those midair-seatbelt-sign-on incidents. You can put away your lovely bag of vomit discretely and trap in all those lovely aromas at the same time. Your fellow passengers are definitely going to thank you for that one!

Don’t forget to grab a couple of unused barf bags on your way off. I always kept a healthy supply of these in my handbag!

4. Bring on your own food.

For me, food smells were my biggest trigger so I always carried on food for me and my hubby to limit the amount of airplane food odours around me and make sure I had something with me I knew I could stomach. For me, this meant a healthy supply of salt and vinegar crisps in the early days and some mints for breath freshener.

5. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!

I always informed the stewardess at the beginning of the flight about my pregnancy and asked for them to bring me a bottle of water. They never said no and I was always given a large bottle as it would save them time during a flight.

6. Sleep, sleep and more sleep

Easier said than done I know but if at all all possible try to rest. Travel can be exhausting anyway, let alone travelling while pregnant but I found the better rested I was, the more I was able to deal with the sickness.

7. Extra clothes and tie that hair up

I doubt this one needs extra explanation

8. Remember your meds or any remedies doctor has prescribed

So these are my top tips for flying while morning sick. During my pregnancy I travelled to 10 countries. I did a few long haul flights all with success. Flying and morning sickness is never going to be a pleasurable experience but I hope, that if you have decided to or need to travel while suffering from morning sick, these tips will help.

Do you have any tips for surviving flying and morning sickness?

Flying and morning sickness: a survival guide

Flying and morning sickness: a survival guide

If you want ideas for pre-baby travel why not check out our pre-baby travel bucket list or our baby moon ideas!

1. August 31, 2016 / 11:50 am

This is a very comprehensive list! Thanks! #BloggerClubUK

2. September 7, 2016 / 10:54 pm

This is a brilliant list – I wasn’t brave enough to fly when I was pregnant. I had really bad all day sickness that thankfully went away at 20 weeks but the thought of being somewhere enclosed that could be hot, made me think twice about it…these are fab tips and I wish I had read it then, as it might have enticed me to take a baby moon 😉 Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam

• September 8, 2016 / 4:05 am

Thanks. I have to fly for work so thought might aswell fly for pleasure too. I learnt these after a fair few flights so if I ever have morning sickness again i feel like I will be ready! Whoever called it morning sickness was a big liar tho!

3. November 28, 2016 / 6:15 am

I didn’t have to fly whilst pregnant but I had a container next to me int he car for the motorway. Don’t know why it is called morning sickness. Great tips. #marvellousmondays
    Kirsten Toyne recently posted…The Mixed Feelings Of PregnancyMy Profile

• November 28, 2016 / 6:22 am

I carried ziploc bags with me wherever I went. Only now I’m not pregnant anymore do I realise how sick I actually was

4. November 28, 2016 / 7:41 am

A great post and I vividly remember flying to Scotland when I was pregnant with Poppy and felt like I was going to vom. Thankfully it was a short flight!! Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays
    Fran Back With a Bump recently posted…Marvellous Winning Mondays With Busy B!My Profile

• November 28, 2016 / 8:18 am

It’s awful feeling like that when on a plane surrounded by people. I hope other people find this useful

• November 28, 2016 / 11:29 am

I did 5 return long haul flights while pregnant and a couple of short haul. They weren’t great

5. November 28, 2016 / 11:32 am

I can’t even imagine! The Bus was bad enough!! #marvmondays

• November 28, 2016 / 11:57 am

Haha – luckily no bus travel for me! Second worst was the tube when people don’t give you seats

6. November 29, 2016 / 7:47 pm

I didnt have to fly with morning sickness thank goodness. Being in the house was bad enough far less travelling xx #MarvMondays

7. May 4, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Wow, I was only nauseous the first 16 weeks of my pregnancy, but I don’t think I would have enjoyed flying in those first weeks. Can’t imagine what it’s like to be sick the full 9 months. That sounds awful enough without having to fly. So brave of you! We did a 5-hour flight to Egypt at 20 weeks, but by then I was feeling fine if somewhat bulky… Great tips!
    Lisa – FlipFlopGlobetrotters.com recently posted…How to provide proof of onward travelMy Profile

• May 4, 2017 / 7:38 pm

Thank you! The morning sickness was horrendous! I was travelling when I found out I was pregnant and pretty much has instanteous morning sickness. Hope it helps other sufferers

• May 5, 2017 / 5:02 am

I’m sure you will be. Or you might be lucky enough not to suffer from morning sickness

8. Tara
    May 5, 2017 / 2:27 am

Oh girl, I was also someone who threw up multiple time per day for 9 long months! I was so lucky that I didn’t have to travel!! Your tips are even great for a non-pregnant, but queasy traveler. 🤢✈️🚽

• May 5, 2017 / 5:04 am

That’s a lovely thing to say and I’d never considered that thanks for pointing it out

9. May 5, 2017 / 2:33 am

This is funny and helpful for traveling families! Can’t say I have personally been there but have fathered 6 children!

10. May 5, 2017 / 6:23 am

Hoard the barf bags! Hahahaha, I love that one. Seriously though it’s great advice for any situation!

11. May 20, 2017 / 1:29 am

I haven’t had to fly with morning sickness thank goodness, but I did during road trips. Yuck. These are great suggestions if I ever have to fly.