Essential guide for visiting Rome with a Baby

I don’t know about you but when I use to book a city break I would get straight onto google – best restaurants, best things to do etc. Now we have a baby however our search terms have changed substantially … where can we buy x, is y available and what I found is that it is hard to find all the information in one place. That’s where I hope to come in!  Here is my essential guide for visiting Rome with a baby including where you can buy essentials, details about changing facilities and accessibility of various locations and anything else that would be on use to parents travelling to Rome with a baby!

Rome is a great city for families

Rome is a great city for families

Where to buy baby supplies in Rome?

Unlike many places such as the UK and US, the supermarket shouldn’t be your first port of call to do your baby supply shopping. While supermarkets will have a small selection of baby food, nappies etc the place you need to go is a pharmacy. There are no chain pharmacies in Rome so each one will have something different so worth trying a few but you should be able to get everything you need in one trip.

Feeding a Baby in Rome

We were over in Europe for a couple of weeks so the idea of flying with food and milk to last the whole trip was not something I wanted to do. We took a few days essentials but managed to pick up everything we need. Baby food is readily available. We found everything from standard fruits to more local specialities such as rabbit and horse which we had to buy!

Ready Feeds, if you are a formula feeder are available but only in some pharmacies. Unlike uk and us the smallest bottle we found was 500ml but great for keeping in your hotel.

In terms of formula, we didn’t manage to find brands like aptamil and cow and gate but there are local equivalents.

Lunch with a view

Where can you find baby changing facilities in Rome?

One of the things I found when googling was that everyone said that there were no changing facilities and those which were were very dirty. Now I live in a county where changing mats and tables are not a common sight so was prepared to do a change on the fly.  But this is much easier if you have a pram than a carrier (see accessibility for more info). While most cafes etc didn’t have changing rooms they were more than happy to make space someone out of the way for you to do a change.

There are also some changing facilities if you know where to find them. Below are a list of all changing facilities in shops I found. If you know more then please let me know and I’ll add them to the list:

– prenatal store via nazionale 45

– prenatal store via della croce 48

– galleria alberto sordi via del corso

I read that some of the larger department stores have as well but didn’t test this and museums and the Vatican (despite below pic) have good changing facilities

Vatican City impromptu change

How accessible is Rome with a baby or stroller?

Strollering round Rome

Before going to Rome we were told repeatedly – use the carrier the pram is impossible. I’m not really a carrier person and as you can see from the weather above we had no choice but to use the stroller but really it was the best thing we did. We walked from the Trevi fountain to the Vatican City and to the  colosseum stopping at many piazzas on the way. It was absolutely fine and it easy. The pram survived the ordeal easily and the baby was very content. Now if you are going to use the metro or go into the Vatican, colosseum or museums the carrier is an essential but if you want to walk the city don’t think you can’t do it with a pram!

Have you been your Rome – what are your top tips for families traveling with a baby?

You may also be interested in my post: Reasons why Rome is the perfect city break for families with babies and young children

1. November 15, 2016 / 9:24 am

These are very useful tips, and some quite surprising – it’s useful to know, for instance, that it’s best to buy supplies in a pharmacy. Good thing you did stick with the stroller. From the looks of your pictures, your baby would have been soaked! #citytripping
    Nell (the Pigeon Pair and Me) recently posted…Harrogate Turkish baths and health spaMy Profile

• November 15, 2016 / 9:44 am

I am glad you found it useful – you are right – we would have spent the day in the hotel if we had been reliant on the carrier

2. November 15, 2016 / 9:36 am

Such brilliant tips. I did the same kind of hunt when we went to Abu Dhabi this time. We had everything but ended up staying an extra day as the boys had caught a bug so it was good to just know all the baby stuff could be bought if needed. Luckily we didn’t end up having to buy anything extra. I love Rome. We’ve never taken our boys yet though but my top tip would have been to take a carrier because of all the stairs but it sounds like you did brilliantly!!
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…A day at Ferrari world (and some tips!)My Profile

• November 15, 2016 / 9:48 am

Thank you! There are def places in Rome like galleria borghese or colosseum etc that would need carrier but stroller fine for walking the city. Lucky it was as the weather was so bad that it would have been impossible to use the carrier. Hope you get there with your boys soon and that they are feeling better

3. November 15, 2016 / 2:32 pm

Great tips. Really useful to know about the pharmacies and what food/milk is available. I think the buggy is essential if doing lots of walking…don’t want to put your back out but carriers are perfect for museums and places where buggies aren’t allowed. Thanks for linking #citytripping

• November 15, 2016 / 3:07 pm

Agree totally about the place for carriers. I hate this opinion that carrier is the only way you can travel with a baby – everything has its place

4. November 16, 2016 / 3:14 am

I’ve always heard that about the stroller and Rome too so that’s good to know it wasn’t an issue. Not that I use a stroller anymore! My girls are older..but we went to Rome a couple summers ago and remember hearing the same thing. We absolutely loved our walks around Rome. #citytripping

5. November 21, 2016 / 7:57 am

I’d love a long weekend away in Rome so this was really helpful. Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays

6. November 21, 2016 / 11:24 am

Some fantastic tips! I would love to take my daughter to Rome, she loved Paris! #MarvMondays
    Kat recently posted…Dream & Sparkle Linky #3My Profile

7. November 21, 2016 / 11:57 am

Some really great tips here – Rome is on our list of places to go, as we never got round to it before the baby, so it’s fab to know it will still be great to do with the baby! Good to know about changing facilities, I think that would be my biggest worry! We generally use a carrier most of the time, but it’s great to know that we would be able to take a stroller if we wanted to #MarvMondays

• November 21, 2016 / 2:53 pm

I hope you get there soon and this isnpf use to you. When we went it rained so heavily we couldn’t have used a carrier anyway and the pram was a useful changing facility!

8. November 21, 2016 / 1:09 pm

You are so brave to travel with a baby! I’m 3 kids in and still haven’t taken them abroad! I’m too scared to! #MarvMondays

• November 21, 2016 / 3:49 pm

You really shouldn’t be – I am honestly say it’s not as difficult as you imagine but I don’t have three. I hope you manag Togo abroad soon and that some of my posts can inspire you in your travel

9. November 21, 2016 / 8:36 pm

I went to Rome in the days pre-baby and I’d love to go back there now with my husband and little one. Thanks for the tips, especially the pram info! #marvmondays
    Devon Mama recently posted…The Lust List: November EditMy Profile

• November 22, 2016 / 4:12 am

No problem – hope you get back soon and this is of help

10. November 21, 2016 / 8:37 pm

I would love to go to Rome and take my two exploring there – it looks really beautiful. This guide is super helpful, thanks for sharing 🙂 #MarvMondays
    Amie recently posted…Parent & Toddler Parking SpacesMy Profile

• November 22, 2016 / 4:13 am

I hope you get to go soon and the guide proves useful

11. November 21, 2016 / 9:49 pm

I loved Rome! I went with my mother this year but would love to take the kids – there was so much I think they would get out of it! Thanks for the fab tips – really helpful #marvmondays
    Cherry – The Newby Tribe recently posted…Wonderful Winter At Waddesdon ManorMy Profile

• November 22, 2016 / 4:13 am

Glad you enjoyed. Hope you and your kids get there soon

12. November 22, 2016 / 3:34 pm

I’d love to visit Rome. And when I do, I’ll be heading back here for you top tips. #marvmondays

13. November 24, 2016 / 9:25 am

Wonderful tips. There is nothing more stressful than trying to find a clean baby change area when you have a stressed stinky child (or two) to deal with. I love that smile on your face of you in the soaking rain. Rome and Italy will do that for you. Thanks for joining us on #FarawayFiles
    Katy Clarke recently posted…Faraway Files #8My Profile

14. November 24, 2016 / 3:55 pm

Such a useful list for everyone attempting Rome with a baby. These practical tips and suggestions are exactly what you need. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this with us on #FarawayFiles
    Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…Faraway Files #8My Profile

15. November 25, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Great tips! It looks like it was a little wetter for your visit to Rome than ours. My babies aren’t such babies anymore, but we did appreciate Italy’s approach to families. Was easy for us too! Cheers from Copenhagen, Erin #FarawayFiles

• November 25, 2016 / 2:42 pm

Glad to see you ha a similar experience. I don’t think anyone can have had a wetter experience that us

16. November 27, 2016 / 1:40 pm

First off your baby is adorable! That smile in the first picture has melted my heart! This is such a good idea for a post series. A sure fire way to make traveler with babies much more relaxed! #farawayfiles
    Chiera recently posted…Elysium Apartments Corfu – Greek Paradise with a ViewMy Profile

• November 27, 2016 / 2:14 pm

Thank you that’s so lovely of you to say! I really hope this post helps other parents

17. November 28, 2016 / 9:15 pm

Great guide and full of useful tips. The carrier has it’s place but buggies are great in that you can chuck everything underneath them and they are good for if it rains. #mondayescapes
    Joanne Addison recently posted…Things To Do Around Duinrell With ToddlersMy Profile

• November 29, 2016 / 4:13 am

Agree – I think prams can be overlooked these days

18. November 29, 2016 / 1:41 am

These are very good tips! Cheers for traveling with your baby! I think we all can learn and adapt. Enjoy your travels! #MondayEscapes
    Ruth recently posted…Street Art in Dallas (Deep Ellum)My Profile

19. December 5, 2016 / 9:58 pm

Life changes so much when you travel with a baby doesn’t it? Its so great to get out into the world with kiddies though to see it thorough their eyes. Thanks so much for linking up #mondayescapes

• December 6, 2016 / 4:05 am

It really does but I’ve been amazed at how much we have been able to get done

20. February 20, 2017 / 7:53 am

Thank you for sharing an in depth blog on traveling in rome with a baby! According to the definition of Accessible Tourism, parents with child come under the umbrella of tourists who need special attention. Thus, your blog attains significanse with respect to accessible tourism as well.

• February 20, 2017 / 8:23 am

Thanks for your comment. I had never considers us in terms of accessible tourism but you are right that families have a unique set of needs