One of the most frequent questions I get when talking about my time in Doha is about drinking in Qatar. As Qatar is a Muslim country people many people are unclear as to whether or not they can drink in Doha. So whether you are a visitor with only a short time in the city or resident here are some helpful rules to remember in relation to drinking in Doha with a breakdown of the best bars in Doha.
Can you drink in Doha, Qatar?
Can you drink alcohol in Qatar? Is alcohol allowed in Qatar? The short answer is yes, residents and visitors can drink in Doha but there are some Doha alcohol rules to remember:
Doha Alcohol Rules
- The only places that alcohol can be bought in public is in 5* hotels. Please see the below section for more information on hotels in Doha that serve alcohol!
- The drinking age in Qatar is 21. No one under 21 is legally allowed to drink in Doha.
- To be admitted into bars and to drink alcohol in Qatar you must have either your passport or Qatari residents permit with you.
- One of the main Doha Alcohol Rules is that it is an offence to be drunk or drink alcohol in public
- Alcohol can not be brought into the country. So in answer to the question ‘Is alcohol allowed in Doha’? Yes, but it can not be brought into the country. Is must be bought in country! So now you might be wondering ‘where to buy alcohol in Doha?’ – the answer to this is it depends if you are a tourist or resident.
- Residents looking to buy alcohol in Qatar can obtain a Liquor License to purchase alcohol at the Qatar Distribution Centre but this can only be consumed at your home.
The best places to drink in Doha aka Hotels Serving Alcohol in Doha
So now that you are not worried about whether you can drink alcohol in Doha it is time to list the best places so if you are looking for where to drink in Doha this list of the best places to go for a drink in Doha is sure to make sure you drink well in Qatar!
Place to Drink in Doha with the Best View
There are so many places in Doha that have amazing views that it is difficult to find a bar without a good view but our two favourite places to drink with a view are:
Strata at The Intercon
This is one of the highest bar in all of Qatar and offers a great view across West Bay. This really is one of the best Doha hotel bars!
My personal favourite spot in Doha. La Veranda has lovely grounds right next to the sea and offers beautiful views of the West Bay skyline. I could sit there for hours watching the dhows go by. They also offer a great apperitivo hour.
Best pub in Doha
The Irish Harp
Another choice from the Sheraton. The Irish Harp is offers a great UK style pub experience
Best bars in Doha
If pubs aren’t your thing then there are plenty of bars in Doha
Wahm Bar in Doha
Has a great terrace overlooking West Bay and has a great choice of cocktails.
Champions sports bar in Doha
This was a regular haunt of ours and is in my opinion the best sports bar Doha has on offer!
An American sports bar that has an amazing pub quiz on the first Monday of every month. Be warned though it can get very smoky!
Best cocktail in Doha
For me there is only one place in Doha that wins the crown for best cocktail and that is Hakkasan! More than your regular staples, Hakkasan offers some unique flavor combinations in a cool and trendy setting.
Best brunch in Doha for Booze
The Middle East is famed for its boozy Friday brunches. The brunch which, in my opinion, has the best variety of alcohol beverages has to be the St Regis. Brunch is on every Friday 12:30pm-4pm.
Exceptions to drinking in Doha Alcohol Rules
Drinking during Ramadan – can you buy alcohol in Qatar during Ramadan?
PLEASE NOTE: If you are planning on visiting Qatar during Ramadan, no alcohol is served even in 5* hotels. The same is true on the Prophet’s Birthday.
Other Frequently Asked Questions re Alcohol in Doha Qatar!
Is alcohol expensive in Qatar? Are there any cheap bars in Doha?
The answer to this is unfortunately yes! Alcohol in Doha is expensive and there are no really cheap bars in Doha! However my advice for those wanting to find a cheap drink in Qatar is to look for the numerous happy hour offers that the five star hotels run!
What is the Doha drinking age?
21 is the legal drinking age in Qatar! Drinking alcohol in Qatar under this age is illegal!
Is Qatar Dry?
No Qatar is not a dry country.
Can I bring alcohol to Qatar?
No, all alcohol must be purchased in country! None can be brought into the country!
Where is your favourite place to go drinking in Doha?
Further Reading on Qatar:
What to do with Kids in Qatar
Qatar’s Most Beautiful Places
Hidden Gems in Qatar Public Beaches in Qatar